Thrift shop ritchey

Interesting! Kinda cool what a tight community it was bitd

I thought this bash guard was ridiculous but he said that's *very* period. He says these Scott brakes had high tech, somehow keep a constant toe in no matter how hard you brake. And he digs the magura levers, says he used em on all his custom builds

Not sure I'm gonna do much to the bike other than polish and wax
all very nice stuff, still not sure if everything fits well to this rather iconic old Ritchey according to the experts here from 1987.

The Rock-Ring was offered from 1988 onwards
Early version had a bit of a different font/logo (bike mag intro from 1989)
Girvin Rock-Ring Vorstellung aus Bike 4 1989.jpg
in the 90this this was changed to a logo with similar font size (the ad below is from 1992)
Girvin Rock-Ring Ad MBUK 1992.jpg
To me this is rather a bit of aftersales tuning product, popular in the 90ties, and not essentially needed on your 80ties Ritchey.

The Scott Pedersen cantilevers are also nice. Back in time they claimed those are "self-energizing", with an internal coil.
A bit hard to set-up...
Pedersen SE Scott aus Bicisport Guia 1990.jpg
According to Mombat sold from 1989 onwards.

You should keep those Magura levers, those are certain periodical correct, as Ritchey, Gary Fisher and others have often used motorbike products for their early MTBs till Shimano and others had been able to provide proper dedicated MTB components.

Last edited:
I had a rock ring on my bike BITD, so yes a very period correct upgrade. I thought I'd read that it was a no-no to put those scott brakes on the front of a bike because of their incredible power.

to me it's rather the Procaliber resp. Supercaliber which had 88-90 a bit of an similar paint job, just with black rear.
View attachment 760738

Not sure if those are Ritchey made still, as GF has started with 1983 Montare to outsource production to Japan step-by-step.
Nope. Fishers have different construction details (like how seatstays meet the seat tube) and they were not built by Ritchey.

Interesting! Kinda cool what a tight community it was bitd

I thought this bash guard was ridiculous but he said that's *very* period. He says these Scott brakes had high tech, somehow keep a constant toe in no matter how hard you brake. And he digs the magura levers, says he used em on all his custom builds

Not sure I'm gonna do much to the bike other than polish and wax
Unless you ride rocky trails i would drop the rock ring real fast. Sell those magura levers on ebay and make enough money to rebuild the wheels maybe the entire bike.

Unless you ride rocky trails i would drop the rock ring real fast. Sell those magura levers on ebay and make enough money to rebuild the wheels maybe the entire bike.
Got the wheels covered, have some nos Ritchey rims ready to go. May put my Suntour xc pro hubs in there. Not catalog correct but I gotta build em up eventually... I figure there's no such thing as too much garlic, or too much ritchey

Sell the scott brakes as well... they are not suntour but scotts, right? Probably worth some cash. Buy xt 730 or suntour xc pro stuff and you will still keep a lot of change for a nice seatpost, saddle and stem.

Back