Threaded fork crown race - do I need to swap?

turkeytickler

Dirt Disciple
Hi all

Coming from the generation where threadless headsets in all their different dimensions make replacements a bit of a minefield, this might sound like a daft question - but I never let that stop me asking in the past :D so.....

I'm replacing an old worn out tange levin headset with a shimano 600 arabesque headset - to match the rest of the kit on my 531 frame :)

I got the old headset cups out, and new cups on - press fitted nicely into place. However, I've lost my nerve in removing the fork crown race ... since I am using the hammer and screwdriver method, and its not shifting with the small amount of force i dare put on it.

My question is... does it actually matter if i left the old crown race in place and used it instead of the shimano one? The bearing race itself is sound... i have fitted the whole assembly together with caged bearings, and everything runs nicely with no discernible play.... surely because bearings were standard back then, the races would all be interchangeable too?

So my thinking is .... just leave the old crown race in place and use it (ok the sealing might not be perfect but it looks good enough to me).... can anyone think of a reason why this wouldnt be a good idea?

thanks in advance

tt

Re:

I've done this a few times when I have found I have a 26.4mm crown race and a 27.0mm fork... or vice versa.

You'll have to be sure the ball bearings in the Shimano headset match the crown race, but if they do, then there is no real reason why not.

Tin hat on and wait for the flak. :mrgreen:

Neil - thanks for that. I checked the bearings to see if they matched.... and they don't!! So thank you, you saved me from myself! Back to the screwdriver and hammer method....

tt

Back