Thermo MTB/ Gravel winter gloves.

Skeeter1

Kona Fan
Hi all...
I have just finished building a 94 Lava dome for a go to winter bike,but I'm just wondering what you guys use for those cold rides which give good grip in all the elements,but more importantly keep my hands /fingers toasty whatever the weather??

Ps..
Here is my finished Lava dome for any of you enthusiastic Kona lovers 👍🏼

PXL_20240902_061703776~2.jpg

If you want fingers and feel, I have used Giro Cascade down to 5⁰.
They aren't cheap, but we've sold them for years.

Colder than that?
Lobster claws help because there's less outside area and your fingers can keep each other a bit warmer.
You can't feel much though.

Full mitts warmer still, and are a goer for those atavists who still use thumbies.
- in my mind, their only advantage over rf+😉
Useless on most bar controls though.

My best tip
(having commuted over the Severn bridge at -5⁰C)
is to also overdress your body, so you feel a bit hot in the torso.
Screenshot_20241006-182020_Firefox.jpg

This seems to make your circulatory system dump the extra heat into your fingertips and toes - and can carry you a long way, and although you arrive at your destination sweaty, your hands and feet are still working.

If you want fingers and feel, I have used Giro Cascade down to 5⁰.
They aren't cheap, but we've sold them for years.

Colder than that?
Lobster claws help because there's less outside area and your fingers can keep each other a bit warmer.
You can't feel much though.

Full mitts warmer still, and are a goer for those atavists who still use thumbies.
- in my mind, their only advantage over rf+😉
Useless on most bar controls though.

My best tip
(having commuted over the Severn bridge at -5⁰C)
is to also overdress your body, so you feel a bit hot in the torso.
View attachment 890599

This seems to make your circulatory system dump the extra heat into your fingertips and toes - and can carry you a long way, and although you arrive at your destination sweaty, your hands and feet are still working.

Thank you for this well detailed information..I certainly will take all your advice and tips on board going forward.
Very much appreciated 👍🏻

I've been using some Altura thermal winter gloves for several years, pretty good even around freezing point although a bit bulky, but that's the price you pay ; they're past their best now though so I'll also be looking for new gloves.
I have a pair of 100% Brisker gloves, which are advertised as cold weather gloves, but in my experience are not really up to winter riding (well, at least not a Scottish winter).
The best thing I've used is some Rockbros "Pogies" aka bar mitts, basically waterproof/windproof fleece lined pockets that fit on your handlebars, great in extreme cold, look a bit weird though, but hell, at least my hands are toasty!

Back