The Worst Dawes Edge Ever?

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
My son is graduating from Nottingham Trent Uni with a 2:1 in Pure Maths this summer. He has decided to stay in his accommodation for as long as the contract allows as he is very much enjoying playing cricket for a local village side. He wants to visit some outlying villages further away than he can walk. A bicycle then. He hasn’t really ridden since his Islabike but, there are plenty of safe cycle paths for him to ride on.
The Spec? As cheap as possible. I had been meaning to throw most of the parts away but hadn’t got around to it. The only bits I needed to buy were the headset - eBay special and the rear shifter which was less than a tenner at Halfords.

6F34E773-01D9-4B65-8952-C88268084F2C.jpeg

The frame and forks are a Dawes Edge I think? I had it powder coated before I discovered the BB threads were largely shot! A FAG frame saver was added way back in the day. I was “lucky” that the chain line sort of works for the worst chainset in the world.

26B07C5C-56A3-44EA-9E4B-09BC2291A7C0.jpeg

The mechs are similar quality although they do say Shimano on them. I would say the only semi decent parts are the stem and brake levers.

8CAC57B7-AD23-4BC8-BF09-3859AB9D6EED.jpeg

Maybe the stickers I added as well…

CE0A83ED-995A-45D5-9DAD-A506786CB4F9.jpeg

I’m not sure where it will be stored but unless someone wants to weigh it in…. He’ll be borrowing my D lock at least.

He isn’t sure about the bum up, head down riding position but I have assured him all bikes are like this.

I always wanted a lugged Dawes Edge, nicest Dawes MTB ever made. Still looks super nice even with the worst chainset in the world (your words not mine)

😁

Very nice, I also love a lugged Dawes. I think this is possibly a Dawes Off Limits from 91/92 as the Edge models had top routed cables. The Off Limits had a Reynolds 501 frameset with the lovely 531 Geomax fork. Lots of money bitd but I imagine most bike theives wouldn't give it a second glance now.

My first MTB was a 1988 Dawes Tracker with a Reynolds lugged frame which I bought in my native country, the Netherlands.
It was green and white and came with full mudguards and rear luggage rack fitted as standard. Loved that bike, sadly got stolen in 1991.
I did like the Dawes bikes up to a certain point, but then they started going like many others did and lost their 'Edge'.
I liked the top of the range Dawes bikes with straight forks, they looked great!

Back