the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

Re:

So road brake levers work with cantis ?
Or is there a specific type i should be looking for ?

"So road brake levers work with cantis ?"

Yes. Hence standard STIs + cantis on cyclo crossers (and proper tourers!).

You van also buy v-brake specific road levers if thats your thing plus the same levers work with discs.

Heers a Nishiki I made many moons ago

nishiki_cascade_lets_off_road_lindsey_116.jpg

Re:

Hopeing to stick with cantis . So all good :D
In a bit of a void of knowledge here never having built a drop equiped bike .

Think of it as building a road bike with fat tyres and mud clearance.

Which reminds me, I should get on with building another drop bar monster.

Re: Re:

SLIM":1a0c7f1a said:
So road brake levers work with cantis ?

This year's Charge Plug has cantis, matter of fact.
It's also an alu frame with stupidly wide tyres (42s?) for a road bike :roll:

Back in the day I briefly flirted with drop bars. John Tomac was riding them, the all-in-one bar-end/handlebar combos were just coming in, and there were some interesting extended handlebars in road time-trialling, so I thought I would have a go. I took an old pair of dropped handlebars, cut them off at the brake levers and turned them upside down. I don't have any photos, but the effect was a bit like this:

It didn't work for two reasons. The first was that I put it on with my long-reach MTB stem, so it meant that you were riding with your hands much further forward and much closer together than normal. Steering was much too jittery over cross country, although it climbed brilliantly. The second reason for it not working was that the handlebars I used were just a cheap road set, and not strong enough for off road riding, and so they snapped as I was riding! Fortunately I was able to use the brake lever attached to the snapped-off handlebar and stop the bike before I did myself an injury. I never re-visited the idea, but I think with the right stem it could work. I certainly noticed an improvement on some rides, especially uphill sections.

Attachments

• Velo Cafe - Ian Cammish Bike - Cinelli Bars.jpg
    Velo Cafe - Ian Cammish Bike - Cinelli Bars.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,324
Re:

Cool thread for sure.
Don't know if I posted much of my stuff.....
96 Super V carbon I've owned since new drop bars I fitted shortly after I purchased it.
I've recently rebuilt the Sachs ergopower levers and headshok front susp. Original LX XT derailleurs. CODA cranks, Black Spire chainrings.

super_V_900_carbon2-492x417.jpg

Two little tricks I've learned over the years....
regarding the V brakes and ergo levers is drill a small hole on the outer lever and thread the brake cables through this, which will allow more cable pull and travel for the pads.
I use old spare tubes (remember those) cut into strips and wound around my bars first before I wrap the handle bar tape on, this make a really comfortable grip.

Back