the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

Re:

keep coming back to this thread ... :)

working on a drop bar mtb/touring project at the moment. Currently looking around for suitable flared dirt drop options (trying to avoid many lost hours searching for stuff on e-bay). Obvious one is the on one midge ... currently only available in white it seems in the 25.4 size though.

I did stumble on this while buying stuff for my wife's city bike last night, so thought I would share it here. Sold for beach race conversions that are popular over here. Only 31.8 though, but good to have some more new dirt drop options ..

http://hollandbikeshop.com/fietsonderde ... 2cm-zwart/

Designing a new monster cross bike based on the 2013 Kona unit single speed bike as we speak. I was in much doubt about which size was most appropriate since the drop bar will bring the rider further over the front wheel. That's where Bike Cad becomes very handy! I picked the 18 inch frame to give sufficient reach in combination with a 25mm setback post in order to keep the bike balanced between wheels. I still have to figure out the particulars of the build but a great hydraulic TRP Hylex brake set, that I took from another bike was the kickstart for this project. Another was new Cowchipper bars from salsa that I wanted to test!

Can't wait to see how this one rolls out!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 12.34.29.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 12.34.29.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,922
Re:

All done: City Stoemper, Farm Road Racing, Kona Kool, Monster Cross, Single Speed 29'er.

Frame: Kona Unit 18" Raw Steel with sliding dropouts, orange decals
Drivetrain: Shimano XT cranks with Surly Stainless 36t ring
Chain: Kmc X1 chain
Sprocket: Surly 17t
Rims: WTB Speed disc i23
Hubs: Formula SS disc hubs
Tires: Continental Travel Contact 50-622
Brakes: Trp Hylex Hydraulic
Rotors: 180/160 Avid Gs CS2
Bars: Salsa Cowchipper 44cm
Bar tape: Salsa Gel Grey
Saddle: WTB Volt

Attachments

• _DSF8929 copy.JPG
    _DSF8929 copy.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 1,878
That is a nice looking bike parfumisme.
argie.gif

Single speed and drop bars. A good combo.

firedfromthecircus":2ywuyike said:
That is a nice looking bike parfumisme.
argie.gif

Single speed and drop bars. A good combo.

Thanks. I've raised the bars a little with a modern 'limp d*ck' stem (from ergotec) to sit a little more comfy in the drops and put a 25mm ofset to the seatpost to correct for the steeper angles on the seattube.

Rides a charm now. balanced, direct, quiet and most of all its fun/carelessness factor is outstanding :cool:

Back