the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

Re:

I'm going to be using my Cannondale Caad2 frame as a drop bar. It's V-brake only though. What brifters should I be using?

i'm not sure if there is a vbrake compatible brifter out there for drop bars.. but you could convert to cantis...

Re: Re:

Logic.Al":j79745w9 said:
I'm going to be using my Cannondale Caad2 frame as a drop bar. It's V-brake only though. What brifters should I be using?

There isn't any brifters on the market that will work with v-brakes, so it gets a bit more complex.

Your options pretty much boil down to:
- Tektro RL520 brake levers with CX style bar end shifters.
- Tektro RL520 brake levers and get some downtube shifter bosses welded on the frame.
- Brifters with the Problem Solvers Travel Agent mounted on the v-brake noodle.
- Brifters with mini-Vs like the Tektro RX5, but you will be limited to skinny road slicks / semi-slick tyres.
- Brifters with good old cantis and be done with!

PS: Nice stiff frame the CAAD2, good drop bar candidate. :)

:)

Well spotted and nice rig you got there Frantik.

For some reason there is a recent spate of modded DBR Axis TT for drop-bars and road use.

I'll throw in some more pictures too. The cockpit on mine is essentially modern using 3 x 10 brifters
with the alternative cable routing making it a 2 x 9. The original rear frame mounted canti-hanger was taken
off the DBR for another project so had to find a suitable solution to run cantis. Homemade FD cable adjuster
out of a an old rear mech to help tweak the front indexing (almost makes you think if DBR thought of putting
an adjuster on that strange protruding cable mount).

Attachments

• MX5_rs.jpg
    MX5_rs.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 3,287
  • MX2_rs.jpg
    MX2_rs.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 3,286
  • MX3_rs.jpg
    MX3_rs.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 3,287
  • MX4_rs.jpg
    MX4_rs.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 3,288

Logic.Al":y4rg0f5d said:
Might have to look at Canti conversion. Although with the headshoks might be interesting.

The Tektro Power Hanger will probably be your best bet.

Woz":odorjix4 said:
Logic.Al":odorjix4 said:
Might have to look at Canti conversion. Although with the headshoks might be interesting.

The Tektro Power Hanger will probably be your best bet.

Hmm no holes on frame or forks. Looks like it maybe the travel agents.

I've gone and fitted a set of on-one's moustache bars on my '87 Marin Palisades trail especially as I've had a set of barcon 6spd bar end shifters sat in a box. used a Kalin high stem, great fun and now is my general go to bike.

Darned cool thread that has taken me a couple of days to flow through. Now its gotten me to thinking 'bout changing over my flat bars that I WAS more than happy with... thanks, I think? :D

Back