The u-brake is b-a-c-k (and it's mad!)

Re: Re:

kaiser":3kbokiq5 said:
I believe (but don't quote me) that the development came about as a request for a better chainstay mounted brake to aid aerodynamics.

I think tyre clearance is involved too. Road racers seem to be aware that they need wider rubber - 25mm even for smooth roads runnin in peletons, and wider again on cobbles or running solo.

As for discs on road racers, I have to ask "Why?" It's hard to see the advantage. Even if the extra weight is free because of UCI minimum weight rules, then I still wonder about aerodynamics - and a tiny cumulative advantage becomes huge over the TDF.

Of course what really matters is what the bike makers think is good for them; the rules will be set accordingly.

All the same, the u-brake never did me no wrong and I'm glad to see an old friend get a second chance!

PurpleFrog":2wxjsnuw said:
As for discs on road racers, I have to ask "Why?" It's hard to see the advantage. Even if the extra weight is free because of UCI minimum weight rules, then I still wonder about aerodynamics - and a tiny cumulative advantage becomes huge over the TDF.

With the size of the carbon forks these days giving ample deflection from air with rear mounted calipers and the rear calipers tucked inside the chain/seat stays I can see it being an aero advantage. Not to mention the superior braking advantage and lack of rim heat/tire issues @ 60+ speeds coming down the back side of the Cols, especially in the wet. It's coming to the pros. It's only a matter of time and acceptance by the stoic peleton.

Colnago-C59-Disc.jpg

FMJ":1x5n1f91 said:
With the size of the carbon forks these days giving ample deflection from air with rear mounted calipers and the rear calipers tucked inside the chain/seat stays I can see it being an aero advantage.

That makes sense. I think my mental model of a road bike is still back in the days when forks were made out of metal.

I'm in the disc revolution is coming camp.
In this years TDF there were some comments that some of the crashes were the result of inconsistent braking on carbon rims.

Re:

I cant help thinking discs could cause some damage in a finishing straight pile up.

PurpleFrog":2866k5ae said:
Shimano have decided that they're the future of road racing:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/09/ ... ure_343690

1-659x440.jpg

They're liked for the great modulation plus the clearance for wider tyres (up to 30mm - that probably would be a Godsend on the cobbles during a Roubaix) that future road racers might be running.

..I think the author of the article is unfair to old style u's: they only ever had problems (afaik) from that weird mounting under the chainstays.

It's not really a u-brake, more of a twin post caliper brake :p

Sean

SEANSTEPHENS":1yrynupm said:
PurpleFrog":1yrynupm said:
Shimano have decided that they're the future of road racing:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/09/ ... ure_343690

1-659x440.jpg

They're liked for the great modulation plus the clearance for wider tyres (up to 30mm - that probably would be a Godsend on the cobbles during a Roubaix) that future road racers might be running.

..I think the author of the article is unfair to old style u's: they only ever had problems (afaik) from that weird mounting under the chainstays.

It's not really a u-brake, more of a twin post caliper brake :p

Sean

...and it's missing a straddle cable and brake booster to stop the bosses breaking from the stays ;)

The only reason we don't see discs in the tours is because they're currently outlawed by the UCI due to safety concerns. What these concerns are I have no idea. During the TdF coverage Sean Kelly was saying that in the event of a crash there was the risk that the rider could suffer burns from these red hot discs :facepalm: . I don't think he dispelled any Irish stereotypes with that comment.

I'm really glad you posted this because I found a Specialized road fork on ebay last week with bosses for what looked like U-brakes and I was very confused.

I knew that road bikes had been sneaking the brakes onto the chainstays, but I didn't know they were using a different mounting system.

OT: what's with Trek's anagram names? Does Specialized own the trademark on all the letters other than M, A, D, O, N, and E?

Back