The strange story of the bike that never was !

focomat 1c

Retro Guru
This is a true story , some names/places have been changed to protect the innocent

Some time ago I came across this freehand sketch . I understand that it was found in the partially collapsed remains of the former Overburys workshop

The sketch measuring 37 x 42cms is in a poor faded condition and produced using a felt tip marker with detailed information in biro . It clearly depicts an 18.1/2" Pioneer XT ATB with clear instructions regarding the placement of the frame decals and the transitions /boundaries between the two frame colours

My first impression was that I had found a drawing made by Overburys based on a customers requirements , it had clearly been mounted on a panel (?) at some time and presumably used for reference during the bike build .
However even closer inspection also revealed the remains of a name and address ! Was it possible that the customer
still lived there some 32 years on and did he still have the bike ? A letter was sent straight away

Attachments

• P1040335.JPG
    P1040335.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 46
Several weeks later I had a reply , it reads as follows :

Sorry for the late response . This is going back a while ! As I remember at that time * I was looking for a new mountain bike
but there wasn't a great deal of choice . I wanted something with quality components . I then came across Overburys advert
showing the chance of having a custom built bike in the colour of customers choice . I contacted them and then made the
trip to Bristol to have a look and a test ride on their demo model . I went to the local park from the shop ( can't remember
the name of the park ) and was impressed with the bike , so I ordered one . I then forwarded my technical specifications
and colour scheme details , which I am assuming you have discovered .

Unfortunately , the bike never materialised . After a few months of waiting with no real reason for the delay I regrettably
had to cancel the order . I hope this helps with your query . Kind regards David

What a sad tale , and apparently typical of Overburys poor business practices at the time .

* The reference to Columbus Tubing on the sketch would seem to indicate a date of around 1989 ?

David drove all the way from North Yorkshire to have a test ride ! and ended up with nothing

Along with the sketch there were several sets of Overburys original waterslide transfers for frame down tubes ,
they are very fragile and have dried out

Other items have also been discovered of which more later !

Back