The one and only "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
jaypee":zg8gr67a said:
Screenshot_2013-10-13-00-04-26-1_zps91a1da74.png

These shifter/levers which I think are 90/91 LX?

Not a lot I doubt mate, had some before I couldn't give away - £10 or so I guess?

Sniffly Spider":2eo9sosw said:
HI There,
I'm brand new to all this, but hoping to start getting involved in bike restoration and any words of advice would be very much appreciated! I have recently acquired this 'Halfords Competitor Mk5' retro racing bike and to be honest I don't even know where to start- I brought it to a place called Evans cycles down the road-they were excited by the bike, telling me it was a rare find-I wonder if anyone on here knows anything more about this model as I haven't been able to find much online at all!
Any Info at all would be great!
Thanks!

Not heard of a Halfords comepetitor but assuming (from the terrible picture ;) ) that it is a standard small sized road bike, in reynolds tubing and lower end parts I'd guess £60-70.

Rare and valuable aren't the same.

Get it built and ride it, you bought it for that reason!

coomber":19auppom said:
Mcwhyt":19auppom said:
Hi I've got a 1993 Kona Fire Mountain, owned from new. Had a major overhaul 4 years ago including full strip and paint. she's been my daily commuter for a couple of years and has the following fitted.
OEM equipment : Frame, Project Two forks, alivio rear mech
Back in the day bits: Girvin Flexstem, Dave's Chain Device (DCD) , tektro cantis with matching brake boosters, Araya rims.
Modern bits: lizard skins lock ons, shimano Revo shifters, charge hi riser bar, FSA 48-36-28 crank set, Avid brake levers, all new cables, Whyte saddle, Cane creek thud buster seatpost (this will be sold separately) I'll fit a standard seat post.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

£120-140.

Value is nearly all in the frame and forks.

Less than that. If it was period correct I'd expect that, as it's not, I'd say £80?

Sell the DCD separately. The Flexstem is not very desirable.

I bought a 93 Fire Mountain for £23 on ebay last year. It was completely original, needed a good clean up and possibly a new lick of paint. I gave it away in return for some wheels being built for me.

Pyro Tim":2pvsq503 said:
Sell the DCD separately. The Flexstem is not very desirable.

I bought a 93 Fire Mountain for £23 on ebay last year. It was completely original, needed a good clean up and possibly a new lick of paint. I gave it away in return for some wheels being built for me.

Thanks for the advice, sad to say that I'll more than likely break her up and sell the parts separately. Breaks my heart tho, been through a lots with the old girl in her various guises. :facepalm:

I reckon you could get a bit more, depending on where you live. There are occasional excellent bargains on eBay but generally only for the eagle-eyed. On gumtree here in Brighton (or anywhere big I suspect) you'd probably get £120. Very much dependent on condition and the respray quality.

And on gumtree no one will care about the dcd so take it off and sell it on here/eBay as pyrotim says

ok, it may have a value as a bike, but I doubt it as a retrobike. It's resprayed, so lost value there. It's not factory spec, or even period correct, so loses more value. Sell it in Brighton, you wouldn't get that much for it round here. I'd expect to pick up a Lava Dome or Cindercone for £120-140 in good original nick and they are the frame up.

WHat would be the ball park price of an early/mid 90s Raleigh due tech bonded Ti + cromo + alu (head tube) frame, original paint, no rust, and forks (not UGLIs)?

Agree with pyro with that fire mountain, it plain gauge tubing worse than a clockwork.

40 to 50 quid round these parts if your lucky. 20 quid to the average man for a bike to chuck against the wall.
As for the DCD that would be given away and the flex stem would be nice for a day bike.

Each to their own mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back