The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff and sales thread

There must be so many hifi manufacturers who can't build power supplies out there...

I havent got the time to right what I would like to about mains conditioners and the like. Usually the hum can easily be traced to a faulty cable or a dodgy connection.

Most 'noise' from external sources such as washing machines and fridges etc can be cured by installing a separate ring mains at the consumer unit. not too expensive.

adlyhobart":38kvvujm said:
hi john, thats great mate and glad you got it sorted for basically a small outlay. i always heard pretty duff reviews on that sort of cleaner and led to believe the bloody expensive dual transformer type ones are the only ones that will actually work but i could never see myself spending 3-4k for a six way box that weighs 50kg. i have always fancied making a transformer type cleaner and this thread has reminded me to do so. if i do make one i will post it up here. oh and as for hearing a difference in your hi-fi its very likely you will get an improvement when feeding your system nice clean electricity. happy listening!!
Cheers fella! :)

Three thousand quid, you say? Good grief, you have to wonder how a bunch of electronic components that clean up a sine-wave could possibly cost so much. But if you do ever make one yourself, I'd love to hear about it! :cool:

legrandefromage":38kvvujm said:
I havent got the time to right what I would like to about mains conditioners and the like. Usually the hum can easily be traced to a faulty cable or a dodgy connection.
You're absolutely right LGF, and if the noise had sounded like a transformer hum, then I certainly would have been checking cables, earthing and such like. But the noise coming from my speakers sounded like this video clip between 0:09 and 0:20...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLH_8fC7U50[/youtube]
When I pulled out the powerline LAN adapters, that noise disappeared. So I'm pretty sure that I'd nailed the culprit. But it meant that I had to choose between a reliable broadband connection or a silent background for my music. This mains conditioning unit lets me have my cake and eat it.

legrandefromage":38kvvujm said:
Most 'noise' from external sources such as washing machines and fridges etc can be cured by installing a separate ring mains at the consumer unit. not too expensive.
Interesting idea, but I think the landlady might object... ;)

I think what LGF is saying is there is no magic about this.

Powerline (TM) components are known to be noisy. Us in the EMC community (I run an Automotive EMC test facility for my day job) have a long and painful experience of them. They were illegal for ages and then became legal simply because of demand for them (go figure), and are still illegal AFAIK in commercial premises because of the noise they imprint on the mains power supply.

It's not at all surprising that the noise from them is audible on your hifi. It will get through on the power supply, but rather than getting on to the music signal from the power internal in your kit, it more likely induces through cables and PCB tracks. Op Amps in your hifi generally have massive PSU Ripple rejection in the order of 100dB>, so any noise on the PSU wont appear on the O/P, but I digress.

A mains filter can be had for a tenner, and a lot of hifi will come with them built in. There is nothing to be gained by spending hundreds, or thousands on 'mains conditioners'. Snake oil. Like fancy cables made from unobtanium, or pens to paint your CDs green, or special feet for your amplifier. It's BS, save your money for records or CDs, or the biggest improver of sound quality on earth - beer. :)

"There is nothing to be gained by spending hundreds, or thousands on 'mains conditioners'. Snake oil. Like fancy cables made from unobtanium, or pens to paint your CDs green, or special feet for your amplifier. It's BS, save your money for records or CDs, or the biggest improver of sound quality on earth"

Here Here!!

Re:

The 90's called and said they wanted there stereo back lol

Photo0128.jpg

Photo0126.jpg

Just thought I would share my latest purchase Denon components with Tannoy M3 speakers , really like the black with silver feet. Just need to find the matching equalizer :LOL:

Just finished cleaning it all and it was filthy but looks so much better and has the glossy finish again

Any comments welcome and thanks to LGF for starting this great thread

Thanks Dave

I have M3's just like that - bought new in around 1998/9. Lovely speakers, especially with vinyl.

Heres a quick snap-shot then.

From the top down:

Technics SL-1410 MKII

Yamaha Music Cast server/streamer thingy - sounds 'better' than many CD players I've owned. It can record lossless which is nice...

Old region free Cambridge Audio DVD and LG blu-ray

Rekiborter's Sony for the Blu-ray/ Sky duties. It interacts with the TV/ Blu-ray player for convenience. It runs those small MS speakers and a hidden Yamaha sub. 48khz audio sounds great whereas 44.1 does not, soooooo...

...we have the Quad 44/ 606 stuffed onto an out of sight TAG McLaren prototype AV32R. The Music Cast is fed to that digitally with the 44 used as a phono stage for the SL-1410. The 606 feeds the Mission 753. They have been my bench mark for 20 years. Other equipment sounds better or worse than. Very few speakers have bettered their particular 'sound' for the music I listen to. I suppose we have grown up together.

Then on the floor we have an old Ipod from 2004, a Technics SL-1510 and the SL-P1200 CD awaiting my wizards sleevery...

Attachments

• tower of power.jpg
    tower of power.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 4,362
Back