The Introduce Yourself Here Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, newbi here,

got recomended to this place after a ride with some singletrack world forum lads a few weeks ago, I bang around Halifax on my 95 Kilauea [had it from new] - bit like triggers broom though, only the hubs, frame, forks, and bars/stem are original now.

I had the 94 vintage first [slightly metallic grey with mainly LX gruppo] but it suffered with chainsuck [what didn't], anyway the chain dragged the rear mech round and took the dropout with it...... took bike to dealer- who said they would send the bike to second level for warranty repair, the courier company lost the bike, so second level gave me the 95 version to replace it, and just charged me a bit for postage- RESULT-

Hello chaps,
im new to this whole scene
i have been given my grandads old lava dome
as this isn't my usual type of bike i have joined this forum to convince me upto now i have fitted flat bars single speeded it and generally cleaned it up etc while upgrading for some more modern kit

thank you

Hi my name is Derek 36 from Manchester I recently dug out my 1989 britsh eagle inferno, I plan to give It a good overhaul which im no expert on, so I'll be asking some questions in the near future.

Hi, also new on here.

I stumbled upon the forum while searching for parts to refurb my '97 DBR WCF 6.1 (finding decent 8 speed shifters is a nightmare!) and became amazed by the collections some of you guys have! Once I have the DBR restored to full it's former glory I intend to start building the PACE I always lusted after as a school boy, though finding a frame large enough might be a problem.

If any of you guys have a large frame (any manufacturer) for sale please let me know. I'm 6'5" and the DBR, at 20", has always been too small for me, so I need a larger frame to build up my new daily use bike from. Finding large bikes second hand is proving difficult!

Cheers,
Tom

Hi there,

I'm Dru, from Cardiff, South Wales.

Brand new to the forum, found it today after recently digging out my old MTB from the parents shed.

It's not seen the light of day since I rode it as a kid. Got it in about 1993 (ish) after my GT Outpost got stolen by a schoolmate...

The bike in question is a Shogun Trail Breaker 2

I've put on a new saddle and some new 'semi slick tyres' after the original racing porcupines had perished.

Tried it out today on the Taff Trail. Nice Ride but the brakes are shot, therefore I'm looking for new parts such as pads etc.

Also as the bikes been in a damp shed there is some rust about, so hopefully over the next few weeks will find out what needs replacing and more importantly how to do it.

Nice to meet you all,

Regards,

Dru.

Hi everyone,

Had some spare time and decided to check out the forum. I think that was a bad move!

Been riding bikes since I was a kid started XC racing in '92 on an 23" (or summat stupid) Townsend jitted out with Shimano 200GS goodness. Progressed through a couple of Saracens then my pride and joy, a Cannondale M800 Beast of the East which sadly snapped :( After that cars, women and beer took over and bikes were fogotten.

In 2001 I bought a Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo which kicked off my passion for bikes.I still have that now and also my regular ride which is a Commencal Meta.

Really keen to find another M800 just for sh*ts & grins. If not something like a Zasker which I've hankered after for many years.

Highlight of my biking days was meeting the late Jason McRoy and Rob Warner at the '94 Nationals at Eastridge. Still got my signed (by both guys) programme from the event.

Cheers, look forward to getting involved. It'd be nice to have a retro beast for next years Mountain Mayhem :)

Been lurking for a few weeks and felt it was about time I introduced myself.

I am a 30 something from Blackpool and have been riding mtbs since the mid 80s and before that BMX in the golden years.

I have only had a few bikes in my time and have tended to loose(read have stolen) or run them into the ground.

I started of on a Falcon something or other, rapidily moved onto GT Timberlines, Marin Muirwoods and Giants. All hardtails. In the late 90s I stopped riding and had a few years off (cars, houses, kids etc). Then bought a 05 Halfrauds GT i-drive comp, which I actually quite like. This year my better half demanded a decent bike so I bought her a Specialized Myka Comp which is very tidy.

Anyhoo this wetted my appetite and I started to think about all those lovely bits of kit BITD that I could never afford and hence I found the site. Unfortunatley this I can see this is going to financially ruin me as some of the exotic kit on here is amazing.

As I have very basic bike maintenace skills I decided to ease myself in gently and have picked up a NOS Raleigh RSP ali frame to build up as a 1x8 pub bike. But after that who knows where it will lead. :D

im dan

hi i'm dan. I used to race mtb from 96 to 99, did pretty well. Just taken up mtb again after 10 years out. Im now 23 looking to start racing again starting with the soggy bottom series this winter

Hail to the Retro-Riders!

posted some bits already on the borad, but the obligatorial introduction shouldn't be left out.

Name's michael, riding bikes, that is MTBs since the mid 90s. Being born in the early 80s and raised in east germany I didn't got the opportunity to ride the real deal until the 90s. But the old GDR stuff had to do the job and it suffered =).

After starting with a decent Univega Alpina 600 in 96 and replacing the broken steel frame in 2000 with the Alpina 560 aluminium frame I got myself my first full suspension equipment in 2005, because my dear Alpina got stolen. The Fully got stolen in 2006 too and after replacing that with another one, I never lost it again and I enjoy riding the "couch" very much.

While always trying to customize and improve on my bikes or just fool around on the existing ones, I used to have a rain-bike for myself, that eventually evolved into a commuter for my studies in Dresden and then the bug of older bikes bit me. I found a Marin frame (Bear Vally if my memory is correct) in the dumpster and after I used it a bit and repainted it, some sh***head stole it. So back to square one.

After a while, I found my old Alpina frame again, that is - the same modell not my real frame, but I now was too tall for the short geometry so my girlfriend got a nice second ride at my parents home.

Somewhere i then read about cyclocross bikes and liked the idea very much. So i went out to test ist and bought a short Trekking frame an old Scoot Santa Cruz and converted it with drop-bars and Singleseppe setup to a nice cyclocross. Because my buddies wanted to do some road cycling I used the experince with the Scott and built up a brand new Cyclocross around an 2008 Cube Road SL frame.

With luck, I got hold of an Biachi Wood Pecker steel frame on ebay, and used that as Singlespeed MTB but eventually converted it to a semi-classik 2*8 shifter.

While goofing around with the other bikes I got hold of an old Trek 970 Singletrek frame from around 91 or 92 which I completed with a again with a mix of classic and new parts to ride it around the Dresdnen woods. It's quite a lot of fun.

Revent buy was a F.Mooser aluminum frame "Big Bear" with some nasty 1 1/4 inch steerer tube and those Klein-like press-fit BB-bearings. Been building it up as a SingleSpeed MTB with a Midge drop bar. But not everything's in place just yet.

Well, long story short.
I like bikes, I love old steel, but I'm not the die hard "it got's to be peroid correct, period!!" type of rider =). I'm short on money and tend to try to make them run with little money. But I still got some sense of style. Meaning there are no huge HT2 alu cranks on a small and tender steel frame.

Well, whoever read this, thanks for the patience =)
michael

I've been hanging around for a couple of weeks now, obsessivly reading through catalogue scans and making a few discrete purchases ;)

Started offroading as a kid on old heavy kids bikes, got a Giant Flash when I was a slightly bigger kid in the early 90s and got into proper mountain biking when I got a GT Timberline in 1997. I've been upgrading and tinkering ever since and have been through that first GT (stolen); a 1999 Heavy Tools Duel, with upgraded Marzocchi DH3s (stolen); a 2003 Norco Drop (stolen); and now I've got a custom built Mountain Cycle Rumble from 2005 with some 2002 SC Shivers or some 2005 rebas according to the occasion, and a 2006 Cannondale Gemini. Oh, and a 2007 Giant SCR4 for triathlons!

I'm well on my way to my first retro build, which will be a short travel steel hardtail for covering long distances and multi-days in the hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back