The Introduce Yourself Here Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old school Muddyfox Explorer Delux

Hi Retro Rider

Call it a mid life crisis but I felt the urge to check out some retro pics of my trusty (not rusty) old Fox and found this top site. In 1984 I had just about saved, yes saved (unlike todays credit culture) enough cash to buy a brand new Muddyfox Explorer Delux from my local bike shop.£480.
I remember the manager of the shop laughing when he saw the bike saying it would never catch on. Funny how 85% of his sales now are MTB's.
What a piece of kit in its day. It demolished all the local woodland and blazed a trail all over Derbyshire.
Suspension free unlike the softies, sorry soft tails we now see on the STREETS. Do any of them ever ride on the dirty stuff?
This was a quality bike built to last except for the wheel axils that cracked on a regular basis until I upgraded to Shimano QR's.
This bike is still in amazing condition and ready to ride.
How many of todays bikes will stand the test of time if used to their full potential like the Fox.
Would love to post some pictures when I get chance and show off this retro kit.

Cheers Chris the Fox

Hi,

I found this site while looking up data for my Kona FM which was being put back into service for a stag do bike ride in the Peaks (this weekend, 07/02/09, could be a bit nippy :shock: ) after languishing for many years in the back of the garage. I'm hooked... what a great site, already planning my next build! :)

Cheers GJ

hi , found out about this site when i was selling some wheels with a white industries front hub on ebay lol . a guy e-mailed me telling me about the site.....

i live just outside edinburgh have had bikes all my life (i'm 29 btw) so old enough to remember right old bikes lol. my first half decient bike was a raleigh lizzard with c90 and atlus bits . i'm into anything old i.e. cars bikes motorbikes......

anyone else from my neck of the woods ?

Hi,
found this super website when I was researching about my 1991 Ritchey P-22. Have been checking it now and then during the last two years.

I'm very impressed w the quality of all builds here! Some of them are really astonishing! This triggerd me to finish my first real retro build project, a Mountaingoat wich is now finally complete. I will try to post some pics soon.

I'm now planning for my next project, a Yeti Ultimate or Mantis XCR EC, if I can find a nice frame...

I'm also thinking about entering my -89 Alien in this months BOTM. It's an all original bike so maybe it won't stand a chance against all tricked out Ringle sprinkled super builds here...

Regards!

Hi All

Directed to this site by a mate at work. Excellent site with masses of info and some knowlegedable people.

Am 34 and have been riding for ages, but usually with large gaps in between (cars and houses!). Mainly road riding but do some MTB.

Currently converting 1999 Rockhopper to SS.

Also have Trek 1000 (2004), Trek Madone 5.2 (2007) and Commencal Meta 5.5.2 (200:cool:.

Greg

Hi,
thought I'd introduce my self.
I'd not been off road since I was a kid but decided to get my first ATB in 1990 when my girlfriend of the season inpulse bought a Raleigh. Doing the typical bloke thing, I got the next model up from hers and I've been hooked since.
Most of my bikes have bits of retro kit on them - often a case of "Oooo, I forgot I had that." Then I think, "I've got enought stuff to build a bike, I just need a frame..."
I still use one bit of purple bling on my winter road bike, there's a '95 set of WTB Ti bars on my Ti bike and I've a Saracen Trekker Comp hanging over the bench garage waiting to be finished. Not sure to do a full retro build, or use V's.
But some stuff is just to look at occasionally cos it's nice (sentimental) or broken or was cr*p in the first place.

Attachments

• climbing i.jpg
    climbing i.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,642
Hi all from Canada. This site was suggested to me from a fellow named ritchie taylor over on Flickr about 6 weeks ago, he was commenting on my minty 87 Fisher Montare. Hello Ritchie if you are here. I've noticed quite a contrast between the retro bike scene here and that of the UK. In North America my Montare has no real value and over there I'm reading about a guy who is excited about rebuilding and restoring the exact same model of Fisher as mine. It makes sense I suppose, my x wife and son live in the UK in a house that is older than the country I live in. We turned 100 years old in 1967. Over here we tear stuff down, over here we trash vintage mountain bikes and attach no value to them. I can't really complain because I've purchased more than one bike that has tuened out to be a jewel for $40-50.

What does not change is the fact that no matter where I go I'm bound to put my foot in my mouth on more than one occasion from time to time.

So anyway hello.

After weeks of lurking im taking the plunge and even bought the stickers because I just love Retrobiking especially as my pals all ride there 2 grand full sussers :LOL: :LOL:

Hello,

Nipped on for a rough guide price to sell my torus xt .....now seems that she may be costing me money :D

Expect loads of questions....... :twisted:

Hi there,
Been into mountainbikes since mid nineties but could never afford my taste. Now that i'm working I have benefits like money for bikes so I opted for a hybrid a few years back and finally took the plunge and got myself a real bike end of last year. I found this site doing some research on the web. I've seen some unreal builds and i have to say its very inspiring.
cheers,
Pim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back