The Introduce Yourself Here Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks - Iain in Argyll 'ere. Part time amatuer/unfit mountain biker and road cyclist and rusty bike tinkerer :LOL: Always modded my bike when a kid - old habits etc.

Nice Bianchi (1996 or therabouts) for the road, plus newish Dawes and CB Cape Wrath for the hills.

However, having just rebuilt a Kona Fire Mountain for my daughter (quite pleased with the result but rattle can spray job doesn't seem to have hardened off properly - might do again :( ) I've discovered the "Joys of Kona" and now find myself in possession of a Lava Dome (nearly finished - just waiting on Hope headset spares) AND a 1992 Cinder Cone frame in decent nick with all graphics etc.

I'll post some daft Q's regarding brake parts and headset replacement, along with some pics when time permits.

cheers all........

Hi peeps - newbie here!

Have posted my rides in the post '98 bit - but have been into MTB'ing since I was about 15 (1994) and think this place is fantastic. Hopefully this first post allows me to post pics of my bikes in the other section!

Hello I'm John I currently live in South Wales after working overseas for a number of years , got into mountain biking in 1990 and was well into for a number of years ,started off with a Kona Lavadome and then purchased a frame which I fell in love with Coyote Ultralite and built up the bike to a very high spec and used it for a number of years until I left to work overseas and left the bike in the care of my younger brother ( big mistake) ,came home and found he had trashed it , didn't bother for a number of years due to my work commitments and a trashed bike which was beyond repair, then in 2001 purchased my current bike Sunn Dual+ and now looking to hit the trails or as my wife says trying to catch up on my youth as I just enjoy getting covered in mud .

Hi,

Been lurking on the site for a while now, so a proper intro is needed. Started cycling in 1991 when I got my first proper bike, a Marin Palisades Trail, which I have been rebuilding ever since I stripped off the Mint Sauce stickers and took it apart for a repair in 2005.

Found the site when I was looking for info about suspension forks with a 1" steerer - for a single speed build that I was doing. Been coming back regularly ever since!

Newbie from Canada...

Hi, newbie from Canada here.

I'm from Burnaby B.C. a suburb of Vancouver. Yes, I've ridden "the shore" yes, it's big and scary but I'm old and fat and don't need a broken collarbone :LOL:

I can't say I'm new to retro bikes since I was here for them the first time but I have gotten bitten by the bug (again).

I quit riding when I left home and needed my car more, sold my bike (shouldn't have) and moved on. I turned 30 this year and decided I needed to get my fat butt back into shape so I started looking.

My old bike was a Peugeot Dune Racer, internally brazed chromoly steel with Marzocchi XCR forks, Shimano Deore XT drivetrain and Tektro RBP brakes. I wish I still had it.

I bought a new Norco Wolverine in 2002, upgraded it with 2000 Marzocchi Flylight 100's and a few more bits. I still have it but I never rode it much, I just didn't like the way the aluminum frame rode, rattly and harsh, heavy too.

This year I got bitten hard by the biking bug. Bought a nice Fiori road bike for myself and a vintage Diamond Back mountian bike for my wife. Then I found this place, bought another vintage mountain bike (1993 Univega Carbolite) and now I'm signing up.

The bad thing is, all the stuff I couldn't afford when I was 13 is affordable now, my Visa card hates me..

If there's anyone in the area that's up for a ride, send me a P.M.

Shawn

Hi everybody.

Been riding MTB's since 1988 (started on a Raleigh Marauder !! :shock: ) then got a proper bike in the shape of a Diamond Back Ascent in 1989. Then I was totally hooked.

Most important bikes have been kept (Yeti & Manitou).

The other bikes I have changes as often as funds permit (if I'm skint I'll sell them, if I'm flush I'll buy something). A new project is always fun.

Evening RetroBike.

Found the site a couple of weeks ago. Hooked. Joined.

My earliest MTB is a bike I've had from new, a Marin FRS. Not as retro as I'd like but planning on building it up in to the best '97/'98 spec I can.

Looking out for pre '97 DH project...

Hi Newbie Alert!!

Hi everyone,

been looking around here for a while but have been resisting hte urge to register for fear of spending all my mhoney on shiny bike parts :LOL:

Anyways NickD introduced me to the site - I have to say it seems like a great place to be.

I'm currently building a 1996 GT LTS-1 so will be on the hunt for a few late 1990's bits and bobs.

thats all for now

Hi,

New to the site entirely, seems like a collection of like minded people on here.

I've just dragged my old bike out from the back of the garage and given it a wash, and it all seems to be working fine.

It's a partially original 1992 KHS Montana Team, fully rigid, and finished in pink and blue. I've kept it all these years for sentimental reasons as it is the bike I won the National Youth Cross Country championships on (in '92). I hadn't thought to photograph it, but I'm sure I will in due course.

Whilst chatting to a friend of mine, he mentioned that old, sorry, Retro bikes were making a come back, so I felt all nostalgic, dug the KHS out, and then started searching the web - where I found this site.

So, there you go intro over.
I may look to generate an inventory of old spares, and see if they are of use to anyone.

All the best, Pete.

Hello,
I've been around bikes for years, 1st "propper" MTB a Raleigh Mirage in Purple 22" frame from Grattan catalogue ( why did we feel the need to ride bikes so big") moved on after that with Pantera, Zaskar, couple of Santa Cruz's, road bikes and others. Currently loving the steel One One Inbred rigid flyer.
Found the site while ago while looking for info on old forks. Only recently joined as have got some old stuff to get rid of. Excellent work got a buyer for frame with 1st post.
Didn't think i needed anymore bikes but after a few visits now "need" to get a Zaskar 95/96 like the one i used to have.
Keep up the good work!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back