The Introduce Yourself Here Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
wannabe gt zaskar le modifier(?!)

Joined this forum recently after chasing all over the web to find images/info on gt zaskar le 97. I am the proud owner of one and have had it for 4 years. All my other bikes(Specialized stumpy, kona caldera, Giant xtc composite)have paled into comparison, been left to rot in the garage and the latter-Giant- has been ebayed so as i can fund the zaskar's return to glory(it still rides beautifully and is still the lightest bike I've ridden).
Cannot seem to find the original"le"decals anywhere. I've only got one left on the bike, as they were all scratched and i live in the city(theivin bastards everywhere) i decided to paint-strip the rest of them off when i bought it(didn't realise what a bargain/legend i'd found at the time).
Also, when it comes to mechanical stuff, i'm totally cack handed. I can ride em, but i can't fix em..so i'm off to the manc velodrome on 18th jan for the bikes and bits sale to find me some old xt/xtr stuff with the funds from the giant's sale, so's i can bring her back to the future :) will attach some piccies at a later date
My name's ed, btw
Nice to meet yers.. any advice/pointer's would be most welcome.

hi guys
found this forum via a link on a BMX forum in a retro MTB thread

some awesome bikes on here, great work :cool:

i'll be up in the loft & out in the garage later to see if i can find all the bits to rebuild my old KillerV
unused/untouched since i popped a knee on the 99 London to Brighton :roll:

nice to see a few other killerV builds too

Hi i'm Grant (obviously...) currently living up in Northumberland but originally from deepest darkest Suffolk.

I found the site via a link on VZi (VW forum) as there's a few bike nuts over there!

Been into MTBs since about the age of 12 (jesus, that's 14 years ago!) started off on Halford's Carrera's until I got a Gary Fisher Aquila in about 1996, then a Kona Lavadome in about 1997 then the bike I still have a 1998/9 Cannondale M700SL.

Built an On-One Gimp jump bike in about 2000 (one of the very first ones they had made with the manufacturing error so you can only run a 2.1 rear) which I still have as well.

Got into cars an stopped riding really, now just getting back into it!

Hello
My name is Zop’popol, I’m 29 years old.
I am French (and my English is not perfect so I hope you’ll understand me)
I ride a Kona King Kahuna, a single speed Gary Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo and some other bikes.

hi all

joined yesterday-cool site!

used to be a roady racong for cc breckland in norfolk and off road in the winter. retired in 96 after a major knee op but last week bought a 96 gt tequesta to ride to work on. Since decided to do it up!

im also a major oakley sunglasses collector-mainly vintage and to date have about 60 pairs on display. mainly collect the sub zero/zero range and mumbo and m-frame models, so anyone out there who has any to sell-let me know!

cheers
PJ

Big hello from me

Hello my retro brothers and sisters,
Firstly i would just like to say how a great site this is, i've had to many laughs to keep count, now i come to terms with my retro addiction i might aswell embrace it!.
As for me i was introduced to Mountain biking in 86 my a friend that rode a strange looking bike with big tyres (never seen one before), he could go anywhere i was hooked! so i bugged my folks until xmas 88 when i got a Diamond back Ascent 87, royal blue, mountain exage groupo, U brake under the BB. So me and my mate rode everywhere and anywhere together throughout kent to the shouts of 'get off my land!' and 'you shouldn't be here' joking aside i loved it. I started racing in late 89 early 90 i think, but soon realised i needed something lighter and without a U brake (first race in kent had to remove the back wheel every lap along with alot of others who found BB U-brakes and English winters work together aswell as paper saucepans and soup)
So i bought an Elevated E-stay frame? in 1990 out of the classifieds in MBUK built it up with mostly Deore and other bits, but sadly didn't last a year at Mid kent college before getting knicked (toerags 1, me nil) i wasn't to sad as my dad said three weeks later ' they've offered £1000 for your bike (the insurance company, not the kidknappers). I couldn't believe it, I'd been looking at a Klein attitude frame with bits in the back of MBUK for £900, so rang that day and the chap was good enough to wait until i got the money together. Bought wheels a week later and i was back! over the next 2 years i raced the malverns classic, south east winter series and lots of local races, until a pop into a shop cost me big time, (toerags 2, me nil) I was gutted, chained to a fence in the middle of town nobody saw her disappear! several months later i got the check from insurance company, so bought a new Klein Attitude 93 gator linear fade, 6 months had past when i heard of a chap that had a klein fitting the description of my stolen bike so found out where he lived, took my biggest friend, the toerag wasn't there but his mum was more than helpful, on opening the shed i knew she was mine and his mum had no problem with letting me walk away with it. (toerags 2, me 1) stopped riding in 98-99 until 03 when i bought a palamino and since then i sold that and bought a Sworks carbon epic. I always knew i'd have to restore my baby so About 6-8 months ago i got my old klein out and started collecting bits from ebay she's nearly there, my gallery cotains pictures that i took back in 03, and will post more once she's complete again . . . we can rebuild her! Thats me, thanks again for reading this and for all the laughs you've given me over the last couple of years next time i won't wait so long. cheers all.

Greetings from Athens, Greece!
Found out about you from the MTBR site Retro/Classic thread and definitely sticking around. Good work and damn fine bikes here!
Myself I work at Frederik's bike store in Athens in charge of sales and backup mechanic. Started off as a customer there...and the rest is history. Been mountain biking for 12 years now and have decided that as good as the new era stuff is it just seems to lack a bit of character and flair.

Hello from the Wirral

Sorry for the delay in posting here but been very busy getting bits off lots of very nice people on here I'm a 52yr old long term mtber trying to recapture the halcyon days of the end of the 80,s and 90's when the only suspension was how much air in your tyres (backs gone into spasm just thinking about it ) was pointed in the direction of the site by a member of the group I ride with (chesterchunkymonkeys.co.uk) who suggested it might be useful in my search for my former love a KHS montana pro and hey presto there's one sitting in my workshop/bedroom (cheers Joe) :D

INTRODUCING ONESELF

Ay up, this is a nice site,bringing back some lovely old memories of my long departed and sadly missed, worn, polished, knackered wallet emptying old bikes (no i dont mean my ex-girlfriends) they came second. Hello my names Dale,ive been peddling up them there lancashire hills for yonks. first bike back in 87, one of the first marin palisades trails int country,killed it dead.then a couple of old 653 raleighs,killed them as well,then in 90 got a alpinestars aluminium mega dx then got a proper bike,the first batch of orange p7s came and i was in love. ho we had some good times, then she started to put on weight so i chopped her in for a much slimmer model, a shiny new klien attitude, single track nirvana here we come, well it all went downhill from their,next came big heavy downhill full sussers, until i finally saw the light "yes i did hit a tree" or was i just getting old and started to lust after old steel again. anyway i have a lovely collection of (retro)cycle thingies now, all pingy thin steel and alloy
93 saracen killi flyer,highly modified
70s gios torino,italian hens teeth tarmac basher
early 80s bianchi,italian bellisimo tarmac smoocher
late 70s 531 carlton,more pie n chips 70s british work shy slacker
and a rather nice cannonsnale and of course my 02 bullit[/i]

Hola,
Tam here. I was pointed to this site from Mountain Bike Rider website. I am trying to recapture my youth by getting my longtime friend, early nineties, Merlin titanium hardtail working again. It was only when I got it back out of storage that I began to have all these....feelings. And then I realised what they were.....memories! Good memories. And I wanted to get me some of them again. Don't know if'n I can but am sure going to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back