The Introduce Yourself Here Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

When I found this forum I thought this was the best site I have found for long long time..

Anyway, my name is Timo, I'm 31 years old professional violinist :).. I started mountain biking with my brother in -92. I did some racing (xc, dh, road) before concentrating on studying, but now after finishing the schools I have found The Hobby again. I never lost it completely, but there just wasn't time to do it..

I'm quite enthusiastic of 90's mtb's..Maybe the reason is that back then I didn't have the money the burn on the best parts, but also I'm missing the beautiful steel frames and the attitude of smaller companies. If on a hardtail, I couldn't ride an aluminium frame, steel works much better for me. Nowadays I ride naturally a fs, Turner 5spot.

To speed up my hobby, I recently bought a storage of a bike shop which closed in 2005. That was an excellent shop which sold many smaller brands like Salsa, Santa Cruz, Sintesi, Paul, WTB etc. etc., so now besides having the spare parts for next xx years, I will have to sell some of the smaller parts here. They are the cheapest to send by post and the market for the older (even nos) mtb parts is still a bit small in Finland.

Hi Ian here. got into mtb via bmx ( mad for it in the early 80's still got my SE quadangle and no brand cruiser F+F set) Put 5 gears on my z rims on the cruiser had several crashes through chain coming off. Bought a well used Raleigh mtb. That was the start. Bought a Caloi alloy frame + Forks and set it up with xt trim. Just a tad too small for me. Some oik nicked it. Got another Caloi but insurance didn't stump up its true value so had to settle for LX trim. Then I saw a P7 I was in love. Px'd my Caloi for the P7 21" with mainly lx trim and have kept it ever since. Its light ( lighter than my bmx) comfy and smooth.
This site has given me the boost to renovate my bikes and give them some well deserved TLC.

Thanks Stannerzz

Hey dude's

I got into biking in the 80's when There was a boom in the sport at the time.

Those days we would do XC circuits & bung all bikes in back of a luton van, & hit trails! At the time I was about 10 yrs. So sometimes the hills seemed large for a youngster on a purple mustang kiddies bike!

Many bike in life so far, my favorite brand is KONA but there are others.
KONA because in the 90's they where amazing! Used too drool at the bike store & wish for one.. In 2002 I got my first one, a 02 CALDERA it was a fun bike, as they had come a long way since early production & mastered things by then. Now I would recommend VOODOO over KONA as Joe the designer is hooked up with them still & the frames are good value, even the entry ones!

I also like EARLY;
MARIN
ORANGE
BONTRAGER
& some UK built frames
+ custom bikes!

I am also into SS roady bikes & like Fixed wheel bikes as there everywhere in London city!

Am a Art student these days, & like getting out of town for rides.

Its amazing we have a forum like so, enjoy it much!

:D :D :D :D :D

Fulfilled a childhood dream!

Hey guys,
Yep im new here but ive just bought an Alpinestars Al-Mega DX, I lusted for one of these when I was a young teenager but couldnt afford one. I stumbled across it on ebay and it was owned by an elderly gent who had only ridden it about 3 times. I know they suffer from cracking frames but I didnt care I had to have it!

Re: Fulfilled a childhood dream!

markymark":2kapoqtv said:
Hey guys,
Yep im new here but ive just bought an Alpinestars Al-Mega DX, I lusted for one of these when I was a young teenager but couldnt afford one. I stumbled across it on ebay and it was owned by an elderly gent who had only ridden it about 3 times. I know they suffer from cracking frames but I didnt care I had to have it!
Here is a few pics:

Hi,

Sam, 22 essex.

Work for local council as a cycle instructor and also in the "recycle centre" where we get the unwanted/ abandoned bikes do the fixxer upper and sell them on to those that can't afford to buy bikes for not alot!
Been into MTB for about 12 yrs, been through a ridiculous amount of bikes in that time- I seem to buy one pimp it and upgrade til theres no more I can do sell it and buy a new one, I have decided that I like my Ibis Mojo too much to sell so decided to go for a project on ebay- saw a 99 clockwork frame in the orange and white fade and just couldn't resist!
Hit up google looking for parts and info found this site and I am now well and truely hooked!!

Sam

Hi, Graham from the Wyre Forest here.

I've got a Pace RC100, RC0245, which I haven't ridden since the BB bearings died a couple of years ago and I found they are some obscure imperial size that no one in the UK stocks.

I spoke to someone from Retrobike at Mountain Mayhem about the problem and he suggested this forum.
I've tried to searching with various combinations of "Pace" "RC100" "bottom bracket" and can't I find any information.

One idea I had was to cut the 100mm threaded BB out of an aluminium road frame, get it machined down and pressed in to my frame.
A bit drastic if there is a source of bearings from USA maybe.

One problem I got around while I was still using the bike was worn splines on the Bullseye cranks.
I degreased the splines, put an O ring over the shaft, laid the bike down on the right hand side and filled the splines with Loctite bearing fit.
It worked perfectly and yet still came apart when I needed to get to the bearings.

If anyone can help with BB bearings or a link to a thread where it's already been discussed, that would be great.

My current rides are a Santa Cruz Blur & Santa Cruz Chameleon which I use for commuting, marathons and trailquests, both with Rohloff rear hubs.

If I can get the Pace sorted I'd like to use it for trailquests.

Me me me !

Hi

I'm new to this forum and was pointed here by a friend. I'm based in Hampshire and mostly do road stuff, with the odd bit of offroad. I also buy interesting old bikes and ahem, sell them on ebay, or keep them, it's a hobby and the shed constantly changes.

Steve

Hi

My names Matt, i live in Crewe, i used to ride over Cannock Chase many moons ago.......now due to me getting married next sept i thought id buy a bike and hopefully loose weight for the big day !!! Anyway ive just bought and old crome retro GT, i was told that it was a 1997 avalanche, so i went to bristol and picked it up.

Now after giving it a bit of a clean to night i noticed that i could just make out an odd sticker on the top tube........

Turns out its a Zaskar !!!!!! (My dream bike 12 years ago !!)

Its running gripshift, XT rear mech, some SR front mech (looking for XT), some yellow forks (poss rockshock judys), suntour crank (looking for XT), in general its in good condition, and rides beautiful it came with a cateye wireless computer, new led lights and a new seat, all for the sum of £100 !!!!

To say im happy is an understatement......

I came across this site after i put in google "what size is zaskar front mech" the site seems very good :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back