The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been lurking about for a couple of weeks and thought it would only be polite to introduce myself. I registered for the site back in '05 but recently started nosing around on the net looking for pic's of Slingshots and found my way back to Retrobike. I will soon have some fresh decals on my mid '90s Sling and I promise to post pictures when I get some glamor shots.
CycloDan, from Michigan, the land of Slingshots and Nukeproof.

Thought I should register and introduce myself as I have just got myself into the world of retro mountain bikes! I have been looking at the site for a couple of weeks now and have just won the 97 Kona Explosif on e-bay. What is going on with the prices of these classic bikes? I lost out on the burnt orange lavadome a few days back. My MTB history started in 94 or 95 with a Raleigh M-Trax 3000L. I sold this a couple of years ago and replaced it with a 2006 Kona Kula. Last year I went wild and also purchased a Rocky Mountain ETSX70, much to the dismay of the wife. Both have now gone and in the current stable I have a brand new Orange P7 Pro and soon a 97 Explosif! I live in sunny Rotherham (born and bred in Suffolk) and cannot ride at the moment due to surgery (perineal abscess removed). I hope to be fighting fit for the summer and look forward to many rides on the bikes. Trevor.

Just found this the other day. My bikes are retro...I like riding them enough not to want anything new.
Been ride'n all my life but got serious with cycling in the early 70's when I was teenager. Toured from Mexico to Canada and beyond in 81, numerous smaller tours, then got into mtn biking in 1986 (when I could afford a bike) and never looked back.

Ro5ie":2bck94x3 said:
Thanks for the link to the other thread, there's a picture of the DBR model.

Glade I upgraded back to marzoochi forks (it had rock shox when I bought it) although that was completely unintentional

The DBR you have, in black, was listed in the catalogue with a red RS Judy DH in 1995. Before that it came with 400s like on the pic, and maybe 500s the year after, cant remember.

Hello everyone
I'm Dave from Dorset
I ride a 1997 Cannondale Raven v4000, which I have had from new, and a 1998 Marin Wolfridge full sus plus hanging on the wall a 1992 GT Zaskar LE

Many thanks
Dave

hi i am a newbie here. had a scout around ant you all seem a friendly bunch. was expecting a bit of snobbery to be honest!

i started riding in the early 90's and feel a bit of a warm sensation to have been part of the mtb explosion and to have witnessed the rapid rate of technological advances.

i didnt realise there was a retro scene untill i was chatting to a mate. i told him of my plan to build the bike i would have loved (but couldnt afford) to have owned in 94 or 95 but didnt know where to start. he gave me a bit of a wake up call and told me that there are plenty of other 30 somethings on the same mission!

current bikes are a 94 kona fire mountain which i have had since new with many period additions, again bought by myself at the time. its not amazing and there are a few modern parts on there which need to be weeded out. the paintwork has seen better days but i dont want to lost the decals so they are stopping.

other bike is a 99 kona stinky. not really retro but worth a mention.

later

Welcome one and all.. glad to have you on board.

Get pics of those bikes up on Readers bikes, make sure you vote on all our competitions and if you have any questions, no matter how obsucre you thinkn they are, someone on here will have the answer!!

Hi ALL, Ive had a great time enjoying all the info on the site and am happy to contribute to the confusion from time to time.
I have worked in bike shops here in Australia since 1992 and dont mind the old push bike or two, or three, or four (i think you know what i mean).
My vice is an 18" Manitou HT with Manitou three forks, Manitou Billet stem, Answer hyperlite bars, Answer rocker seatpost, onza ho cantis, and some other goodies on the way including a Tioga tension disc which JT rode at a round of our National series back in the mid 90's and some tioga revolver cranks. once it is complete i wil post some glory shots for all to enjoy.
one thing i am chasing though is the brakecabke stop that screws onto the frame for the rear cantis?? if anybody has one they would like to part with or know were i can get one from that would be great.
thanks for reading my banter and i look forward to interesting times ahead.
note: although not exactly retro cool i think my daily rider (six13) might be of interest to somebody on this site??
Cheers - Big Troy :D

Attachments

• Six13.JPG
    Six13.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,206
Big Troy,

welcome, and welcome to all over newbies, great to see the retro word spreading further and further afield.

BT, guessing by that Six13, that you may know my friend's bike shop in Melbourne. ? Cyclespeed. ?

:D

Hi Wu-Tanngled
I Dont know the guys there but it is safe to say there are some great shops here with large friendship groups all over the place. I am a real estate agent now so my grasp of who works where is rapidly declining :( .

Thanks for the warm welcome and i look forward to chating and hopfully being of assistance with some tech or stupid questions. cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back