The GT STS Thread Members Bikes and Tech Info

Tried lowering the rear rideheight?

Who would be interested in a FS-to-IS rear brake adaptor (should fit Marzocchi's 1st gen Bombers too)?
I'm looking into having a run made, would be CNC machined and anodized black, inclusive of mounting hardware.
There are a couple out there but I am not happy with their designs. This would be made to suit the recesses in the brake mount.

10562539_102037501693zqsrp.jpg

looks like they welded a plate in to strength the skeleton type arms. I didn't notice any cracks on those arms but the lower has a crack that was welded once and cracked again.

Hello, guys! Back on track.

I have been offered this the other day and, although I wasn't necessarily looking for one, I reckon the STS, in any of its incarnations, has always been one of my weaknesses and something I have lusted after since I was a teenager.

photo%2B1.JPG

photo%2B3.JPG

photo%2B2.JPG

Unfortunately, as you can see, this bike not only is cracked in the BB area, where a lot of them seem too crack, bu also has no shock. My feelings are mixed...

What do you think this bike is worth in its present state?

It has a DHO fork in pretty decent condition, wheels with silver Mavic D521 rims and XT M755 respectively RooX Jim Bob hubs, a rear Avid Arch Rival 40 brake and a front Hayes HMX-1 with Avid SD 1.9 levers, a new Amoeba cockpit with riser bar, and LX 9-speed shifter with an XT rear derailleur, an STX-RC crankset and the original AC chain device.

I rode it a bit on the street and it feels better than expected, despite the missing shock, but I recognize this can also be due to the semislicks and the good hubs.

I have also been told that he would swap it with an other bike that he could use here in the woods, for some mellow riding.

I am tempted to take this step and to start searching for a spares or an LTS, as a donor. As you can see, there is also a weld on the shock mount and one of the Horst Link pivots features a different screw.

My other question is if the 1997 STS-DH is compatible to the rears of newer bikes or to those of normal ”XC” bikes of the same year? Can you pair it to anything or do you have to find exactly a 1997 STS-DH rear?

One more thing: if I'd get it, I probably wouldn't ride it much, as I have other bikes around.

Thanks for reading this!
Mx

Yes, 1996 is different :

29_LTS-1_xbrace-01.jpg.FP

29_LTS-1_xbrace-02.jpg.FP

And after 1997, there are also rear upper end with disc mount holes, and other without..

Back