The dreaded stuck seatpost thread #574

my first angle of attack is always soak in penetrating oil then whack a sacrificial saddle with a big bit of wood

you can often save the post this way too.

Lovely stuff- thank you all. Any recommended brands of penetrating oil? First person to say KY get's the mong medal.

They are all much of the same I think. I'd just go down your local DIY shop and buy whatever is cheapest. That's what I did!

stuck post

I bought a klein attitude 91 with stuck post in tube. Had done some research that I would need to enlist the support of wizards of the bike mechanics inner forum, the purchase of industrial vices,highly dangerous blow torch equipment, sawing methods and even the crazy yanks pulling a post down wedged between two tree branches.

I got home after picking up the bike, and set to work on the bike upgrades, feeling curious about the seatpost, I used a technique basically using brute force + god like luck+gt85.

After 20 minutes of twisting and pulling and today a stiff back and bruised hands the seatpost loosened and came out!

Good luck

1. Take bike to local engineering works. 2. Stress that the paintwork is really,really important to you, so please could they use something to protect it while clamping. 3. Ask them to remove stuck post, reaming normally best. 4. Give them £10.

Tried all methods, this one seemed to be most stress free.... :cool:

Or try KY.............. :LOL: :LOL:

modified masonary bit (grind off the bits that just out the side) then drill down the tube

worked for me but i had a steel frame and my dad had access to some big and chunky drill bits

al-onestare":3ut6oymn said:
Lovely stuff- thank you all. Any recommended brands of penetrating oil? First person to say KY get's the mong medal.

Plus Gas seems to work much better than GT85 or WD40. Diesel apparently works OK too.

hamster":174mzjxv said:
al-onestare":174mzjxv said:

Plus Gas seems to work much better than GT85 or WD40. Diesel apparently works OK too.

GT85 and WD40 aren't penetrating oils chap. Diesel works though.

Back