The British bike thread

The Cyclo Gear Company / Cyclo Benelux (the ‘Super 60’ was a fine but heavy derailleur.)
Quite a few other early mech’s from GB (Altenburger), Hercules, BSA, Constrictor, Resilion/Philips etc
View attachment 825826
So 68 seems to be the death of the British derailleur , but dying for a while before that . Is this due to Raleigh and Sturmey ?

Think the Gran sport killed them. @ferrus will explain it better though
See this is a part of what I was getting at earlier about Raleigh and Holdsworth cutting each others throats . By trying to undercut , and buy up to obtain monopoly the bottom line becomes too important .
Why did the British have so little interest in competing with the French , Italian and Japanese in componentry ? R&D costs money ?
Oddly Holdsworth were happy to trumpet not using Japanese parts as late as 83 , shortly before using nearly all Japanese parts !
1709336574478.png

It is interesting to ponder the attitude, that existed a good while back, to multi gearing and derailleurs . As a young man; my dad was cycling in the 50's and, of course, started riding fixed. He said it was really hard work when he went out on the hardriders chaingang. On one ride; one of these chaps told dad to get a freewheel instead of the fixed so he could rest in the bunch and have a drink, or something to eat. Dad said this made all the difference and he was able to last longer.

He said that none of them were using derailleurs and none of them would even entertain the idea. I don't know if this was down to ridiculous chest beating by knuckle draggers, or a case of derailleurs being considered forrin muck?
Anyway; There was something going on as the derailleur had become a reliable piece of kit by the mid-late 50's and the SA 3 speed was also 50ish years old.

It is hard to imagine the difference in mind set, compared to today, where these particular london cyclists were clearly not bothered about emulating the pros who had started using multi gearing in the late 30's.
Maybe it was the expense as it was either expensive, or even more expensive, and for the average working class rider it wasn't worth the risk. Dad told me that people were just generally anti and they wanted one gear be it fixed, or freewheeel, but i don't remember him giving any reason for the attitude.
His brother, on the other hand, was more into touring than chaingangs and time trials. He had a Rotrax built for him and went off touring, on the continent, rode a few alpine passes and used a derailleur.

It is odd. We made alot of other parts like the frames and forks, hubs, handlebars etc but we didn't carry on with the derailleur development. As a country well known for industry and mechanical invention it is odd that we just let other countries take over. Especially if you take into consideration that these countries, apart from the french, had been bitter enemies recently.

Last edited:
The Cyclo Gear Company/Cyclo Benelux (the ‘Super 60’ was a fine but heavy derailleur.)
Quite a few other early mech’s from GB (Altenburger), Hercules, BSA, Constrictor, Resilion/Philips etc
View attachment 825826

Even this was started by the French...

Well that answers the derailleur end of my curiosity for sure , thanks Mr chicken sir :) . I must have read that before , I've read the whole of disraeligears , memory dump .
It doesn't answer the rest of the British componentry question though . Gerry Burgess seems to be the end of that line in my experience , stems and bars . Brooks fought on as did Bluemels , if I'm right in thinking they were British .
I suppose the lack of a road racing scene in the same way as the Continent may be the answer in tandem with Raleighs dominance and self sufficiency in parts .
There's always Reynolds I suppose . Perhaps I should start collecting Italian frames made of Reynolds , keep the numbers down .🤔

Well that answers the derailleur end of my curiosity for sure , thanks Mr chicken sir :) . I must have read that before , I've read the whole of disraeligears , memory dump .
It doesn't answer the rest of the British componentry question though . Gerry Burgess seems to be the end of that line in my experience , stems and bars . Brooks fought on as did Bluemels , if I'm right in thinking they were British .
I suppose the lack of a road racing scene in the same way as the Continent may be the answer in tandem with Raleighs dominance and self sufficiency in parts .
There's always Reynolds I suppose . Perhaps I should start collecting Italian frames made of Reynolds , keep the numbers down .🤔

The last 3 paragraphs in that disraeli piece.

Back