The best pedals for toeclips..

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi

Looking into a new set of pedals. Still "retro" in that I like toeclips and not spds etc. What are the best/lightest pedals out there? I have had some shimano ones before that were cage/bear trap and spd on one side. But seems pointless to have the extra weight of the spd bit if I'm not using it! Any ideas? Oh and something that I can buy new rather than waiting for a mint pair of old skool XTs to come up!

Cheers

Doug

I have a pair of NC17's which are pretty light, hardly used them as they are single sided (for use with clips and straps) and i'm dedicated to beartraps.

Will dig them out later if you are interested.

NC17 is the brand, i think the model name of the pedal is Trekker ?, bought them from CRC ages ago, they are modern but old school looking.

....I was with you upto the gold cages...maybe a bit bling for my bike was after black or silver really...

wookiee":3u1j6dwa said:
....I was with you upto the gold cages...maybe a bit bling for my bike was after black or silver really...

Well more like sandy coloured gold, not a bling Spandau Ballet type gold :)

MKS has re-issued their classic BM-7's recently. Still made in Japan and very nice quality. Very similar to the Suntour XC-Compes/BMX cage shape. They work well with clips/straps because the teeth aren't so tall/spikey.

Available in a bunch of RBUK-approved anodized colors too! :p

http://store.somafab.com/mks-bm7-vintage-bmxmtb-peda7.html

The are distinguishable from the originals by the now-silver spindles and caps. Pic below is of new production (silver) and old (red). They should be available at any dealer/distributor that carries MKS and then several eBay sellers.

6630003459_1f7a05a0fb_b.jpg

Ha Jimi...all I can now is Tony Bleedin Hadley! Cheers for that! Think I might pass but now considering getting a pair in black from crc....

...As for the BM-17's bit old school looking for this bike, going on a 2008 Marin Rift Zone, but thanks for the info...

Back