That Kurious Kona

DocBraunson

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
So i got the frame back from Davidson Cycles here in Seattle after they changed the rear spacing to 135mm from 120mm with no hickups. One of the builders there hooked me up with their loose KONA decals. One was a he he he seat tube badge, a "KONA Custom", and some cinder cone decals, along with a "Tange Prestige" decal. I was wondering what you all thought about the decals. should i try to decal up this frame or leave it sexy clean?

Attachments

• IMG_1997.jpg
    IMG_1997.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 765
  • IMG_2000.jpg
    IMG_2000.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 765
I'd go for a couple of decals, but keep it quite minimal.

I'd also avoid using any "incorrect" decals (is it actually made from "Tange Prestige"?).

It's certainly a "customized" "KONA", so I'd use that one (rear end of the top tube?).

And maybe head-tube swirl and downtube decals, if you can get them from Gil?

Looking good; glad the re-spacing worked.

I think we established with a fair level of certainty that the bike is a 1994 Kilauea. Gil_M on this site could supply you with authentic reproductions of the decals, and in my view that would improve the look of the bike and certainly improve its value if you ever wanted to sell it. I haven't seen any reproduction decals on eBay that look authentic, so I would avoid them.

I personaly wouldn't use the Kona Custom decal and I'm surprised you've been offered it. I guess Kona are no longer interested in protecting the validity of the product, but at one time they only supplied those decals to Kona dealers and they were sold only if the buyer proved he had a US hand-built Kona to put it on. Modified by a local shop doesn't count I'm afraid!

If the Tange Prestige sticker is the blue one saying Concept, I would use it (seat tube, facing forwards, just below the top tube). Otherwise I wouldn't - standard Tange Prestige is a different and cheaper tubeset, so you're not doing the frame any favours by sticking a standard Tange decal on there.

Thanks.

hoegaardenadds1 is sending me some Kilauea decals!. i was probably going to use the "custom" one but you have made a convincing argument against it. and yes the Tange prestige sticker is the copper and black colored not the blue one. damn sounds like i need to come up with some new decals. here i thought i was just about ready to put them on....

I think ideally i would have the Kilauea decals with the blue Prestige concept, maybe a headbadge or downtube if it matches. thanks

Back