Tescos scrap 24 bikes worth £4000.....

Re: Re:

mattr":1v38awmi said:
groovyblueshed":1v38awmi said:
If the bikes were all in working order, it seems a shame to 'skip' them. May be its easier/cheaper if they're not in saleable condition and if so, may be they're avoiding the potential of the legal claims culture by ditching them if they're not in condition. Couldn't they be fixed up and charitably donated?
Many of these BSOs are barely in working order when brand new out of the box. Three years on display, and missing parts (many of which probably conform to no known standard, living or dead) will see them well beyond economic repair, or even the remotest chance of it being physically possible to repair them.

A charity bike recycler *may* have been able to cobble a dozen usable bikes together out of that lot. But i'd not bet any money on it.

Resale value was probably nearer £1.66, if you'd weighed them in for the scrap.

Probably the most realistic option I guess – but then they're not quality products to start with. Just seems a waste all round, particularly considering the energy and resources used in manufacturing them.

Re:

Just seems a waste all round, particularly considering the energy and resources used in manufacturing them.

That is probably just the very small tip of a very large iceberg of cheap tat that is produced globally, and then scrapped or binned, unsold or unwanted.

xerxes":b3ogqdvd said:
Just seems a waste all round, particularly considering the energy and resources used in manufacturing them.

That is probably just the very small tip of a very large iceberg of cheap tat that is produced globally, and then scrapped or binned, unsold or unwanted.

Alas. To borrow from Funkadelic's 'Maggot Brain', "we are drowning in our own shee-it".

Re:

There was probably perfectly edible food of higher value in the bottom of the skip too.

I came across this on the BBC the other day: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-1. It's a bit game show/reality TV in presentation, but some of the things the programme highlights are quite shocking; it's not only the edible food thrown away by the retailers, but the food that is rejected, for cosmetic reasons, bent carrots, crooked parsnips etc., before it gets to the stores and left to rot.

Some scroat turned up on a stolen brand new Tesco bike to steel a rather nice high end MTB from my work.
I was offered the Tesco bike for spares but on inspection declined (and I'm well known for using bargain basement spares on my friends & family builds). There was just nothing on there I'd use even on a pub bike.
Things like the cables and brake pads were such rubbish it wasn't worth the bother.

xerxes":e49ue1ii said:
There was probably perfectly edible food of higher value in the bottom of the skip too.

I came across this on the BBC the other day: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-1. It's a bit game show/reality TV in presentation, but some of the things the programme highlights are quite shocking; it's not only the edible food thrown away by the retailers, but the food that is rejected, for cosmetic reasons, bent carrots, crooked parsnips etc., before it gets to the stores and left to rot.

Good old Huge. He rocked up at Wimbledon Centre Court Shopping Centre and Morrisons with his film crew near my office and caused a right commotion. It was a right middle class artisan storming of the Bastille. And remember, you get a better class of waste round the backside of Waitrose. It's bad for their suppliers who can be rejected at anytime so they end up having to junk a crop and lose money.

Even though the bikes are 'worthless' to anyone who likes bikes, there must have been a charity that would/could have benefitted.

Maybe one of those ones that sends bikes to Africa?

Personally those bikes in that price range are all crud, most verging on unsafe, and end up being an anti cycling tool, as said above most secondhand stuff will out last.

Back