Teledyne Titan

Blackbike

Retro Guru
I have been looking for a Teledyne Titan for a long time, it's my grail bike. True the Titan frame has a bad reputation for cracking and the fork for being a "little" flexible but... In 1973 for me, this was the stuff dreams were made of.
I found this one on E-bay, I made a "best offer" that was accepted, now its mine :D . The S/N is in the last third of the production run so it should be slightly less fragile than the early bikes, and at 59 I don't think I can turn the crank hard enough to break it, time will tell... The frame size is a good fit for me and these are the numbers, the frame and fork weighs in at 4 lbs, 54cm seat tube (C to T) X 55cm top tube (C to C), the frame is 73.5° X 73.5° ish... The actual geometry is a bit in question as the Teledyne brochure that is on line has pen markups??? I will keep researching.
I would not describe the Titan as a pretty bike as the gray anodized finish won't win any beauty contests but it sure is tough, and a Teledyne decal kit is on order to celebrate its arrival sometime next week. The build plan for this frame is undecided at the moment other than "period correct weight weenie", with a Brooks Swallow and Campy Record seat pin that I have in a box somewhere.
So the question is... What kit would you use to build up this titanium relic?

And A Happy New Year To All: Mike :xmas-big-grin:

Attachments

• PC050159.JPG
    PC050159.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 1,536
Re:

Looks like a funky frame and a subdued finish why not lift it a bit with some nice gold bits, Galli brakes, Simplex gears, OR10 rims, so on so forth :D

Re: Teledyne Titan Frame

Mike, that's a really nice condition frame, it looks like new. :)
I think the gold would look nice but I do also think once its decaled up and fitted with polished components it would look really nice. To be honest I don't think there's too much in the way of 'real' components, ie: non plastic, that could make this frame look bad.
Look forward to seeing it progress :)

Jamie
oh and age is just a state of mind, ride it like the wind. ;)

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":3s0n5ccd said:
Looks like a funky frame and a subdued finish why not lift it a bit with some nice gold bits, Galli brakes, Simplex gears, OR10 rims, so on so forth :D

Good Day Kermit,
You bring up a good point as so many Titans are done with Campy Record. A Stronglight/Simplex build might be interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

: Mike

Re:

There are so many interesting parts from the late 60's to late 70's it can be hard to choose I just thought of the Pink and gold Mercier bikes, and thought the gold parts would look lovely against the dark frame, glad yo like the idea :D :D

1973 :). That's getting out the black and decker for drillium :)

Can't drill rims so medale d'or from Superchampion.

Shaun

Jamiedyer":kxgrz3dm said:
Mike, that's a really nice condition frame, it looks like new. :)
I think the gold would look nice but I do also think once its decaled up and fitted with polished components it would look really nice. To be honest I don't think there's too much in the way of 'real' components, ie: non plastic, that could make this frame look bad.
Look forward to seeing it progress :)

Jamie
oh and age is just a state of mind, ride it like the wind. ;)

Good Day Jamie,
I agree, gold would be nice, but for me I think a bit of Eddy Mercks style drillium would be enough. I'm considering Kirmit's Simplex (the good stuff ;) ) suggestion, it's a good one, with a Stronglight 49D crankset and "hotrod" Mafac centerpulls like this...
main.php

This... "oh and age is just a state of mind, ride it like the wind. :wink" Thank you for that, sometimes I forget.

Best Wishes: Mike :D

Midlife":qbuog3s5 said:
1973 :). That's getting out the black and decker for drillium :)

Can't drill rims so medale d'or from Superchampion.

Shaun

Thanks Shaun,
Great suggestion on the rims. Drillium looks like a lot of fun.
platos-biela-agujereados-tecnica-drillium.png

Have A Grand Day: Mike

Hi Mike

That's way too good for 70's drillium, I'll have a look at my stuff and post a pic:)

Here in the UK we had Speedwell titanium, I used to polish one in the bike shop I worked in but followed "King" Alf Enters. I would love to own a 70's titanium frame now :)

Shaun

Midlife":3vhbu3k1 said:
Hi Mike

That's way too good for 70's drillium, I'll have a look at my stuff and post a pic:)

Here in the UK we had Speedwell titanium, I used to polish one in the bike shop I worked in but followed "King" Alf Enters. I would love to own a 70's titanium frame now :)

Shaun

Thanks Shawn, The Speedwell's are beautiful frames, I have never seen one in person. there was a German Ti frame from the same time period (can't remember the name) with external reinforcing gussets at the steering head and bottom bracket that looked like they were dealing with flex issues. (Found It, Flema, Photo Below).
Well I have been researching French derailleurs and the Huret Jubilee seems to be in the top spot right now with Simplex retrofriction shifters on the downtube.
Have a great evening: Mike
This is a late edit, a link to a most incredible build here on the Reader's Road Bikes forum with a ton of French weight weenie content ;) .
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=308106
speed_001.jpg

Back