Teesdale Hot with BIN $550

I'm wondering if shop/buyer confusion arose b/c Kona had a similar semi custom option for Hots and Explosif Pros, so "just like a Hot" was remembered as "a Hot"

bushpig":1e3azrin said:
I'm wondering if shop/buyer confusion arose b/c Kona had a similar semi custom option for Hots and Explosif Pros, so "just like a Hot" was remembered as "a Hot"
I agree with this Noah, and I think this is much the most plausible explanation I've heard so far.

I've been in touch with the ever-helpful tech@konaworld and he says the T serial numbers are based on T standing for Taiwan, so presumably they used a generic code to begin with for all non-US frames. He says all Teesdale frames have a serial number beginning with TET.

I do agree that there were variations and it's quite possible that none of the axioms always holds good, but I would still advise any buyer that it would be safest to assume that a frame with a T serial number and no TET was not made by Teesdale.

Still a good frame though.

someone got a great deal :)

properly vetted and TET'ed or not, bike has some nice kit and the paint is pretty slick IMHO

GoldenEraMTB":2l91vihb said:
bushpig":2l91vihb said:
I wouldn't be shocked to find that Teesdale is mistaken. Like I said, I've heard both from him. Did Tange ever build frames?

This is not unbelievable; with all the frames that Teesdale built isn't it a reasonable assumption that some got by without the stamp.

Anthony and yourself are both using Teesdale as a source, but I would lean with bushpig on this due to things I've read with Kona's customs not being so meticulous about their serial numbers.

Then again, I didn't receive this info first hand, from like Teesdale himself. Anyone care to provide a link to a TT interview where one or the other is stated?

Interesting thread; good think the bike is too large for me :p

Anthony may be referring to me, I received a couple of emails from Tom
when I was trying to figure out what the T in my Explosif Pro serial number was all about. I don't think Tom will mind me posting his response. This is
straight from my mail file.

Dan
Thanks for the email.
As far as I know all of ours got labeled as hots. The explosif was the same
frame made in tiawan. It is possible kona took a hot or two and made custom explosifs out of them but I doubt it. We stamped all of ours with "TET" in the shell. The e was usually dropped a bit lower than the t's.

Checked out the pick of your bike. Never seen one like that before. I can
duplicate it if wanted.

$125 to paint frame one color. +$25 for the fork.
Second masked color +$40 if the patternis as simple as the pic.
Frames to be painted--I strip to bare metal.

Thanks Tom

So he does say he stamped them all TET

quickdraw":37oihyc3 said:
GoldenEraMTB":37oihyc3 said:
bushpig":37oihyc3 said:
I wouldn't be shocked to find that Teesdale is mistaken. Like I said, I've heard both from him. Did Tange ever build frames?

This is not unbelievable; with all the frames that Teesdale built isn't it a reasonable assumption that some got by without the stamp.

Anthony and yourself are both using Teesdale as a source, but I would lean with bushpig on this due to things I've read with Kona's customs not being so meticulous about their serial numbers.

Then again, I didn't receive this info first hand, from like Teesdale himself. Anyone care to provide a link to a TT interview where one or the other is stated?

Interesting thread; good think the bike is too large for me :p

Anthony may be referring to me, I received a couple of emails from Tom
when I was trying to figure out what the T in my Explosif Pro serial number was all about. I don't think Tom will mind me posting his response. This is
straight from my mail file.

Dan
Thanks for the email.
As far as I know all of ours got labeled as hots. The explosif was the same
frame made in tiawan. It is possible kona took a hot or two and made custom explosifs out of them but I doubt it. We stamped all of ours with "TET" in the shell. The e was usually dropped a bit lower than the t's.

Checked out the pick of your bike. Never seen one like that before. I can
duplicate it if wanted.

$125 to paint frame one color. +$25 for the fork.
Second masked color +$40 if the patternis as simple as the pic.
Frames to be painted--I strip to bare metal.

Thanks Tom

So he does say he stamped them all TET

Tom's a cool guy with reasonable prices :)

Thanks for posting that.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
sancho":3h7rdkhq said:
Looks like the frame/fork is back on the block, but this time as a 92 Explosif:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... tsupported

That seller, (he/she), was a real douche bag with me when i bought a frame from him/her- I won my claim via paypal, but I had to fight for it. He/she poorly advertised the frame and was misleading, then when I tried to politely ask for a refund due to the issues with the frame that were not mentioned in the ad, I was told, "See you in paypal court".

I returned the frame, and he/she later sold it for $50 less than I had bought it for. had the buyer just owned up to the errors, I would've worked it out with him for less of a price difference.

Anyway, whenever I see that seller, it just pisses me off...I left him/her negative feedback which was well deserved.

Wonder if they bought the bike with the intent of selling it off, or if they were duped by the last seller. What goes around comes around I guess...then again, I don't see any feedback left for this bike by the seller above.

anyway...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back