Teesdale Hot with BIN $550

FluffyChicken":1540xy5v said:
Serial Number is
T9109 XXXX first part as posted in the auction questions
I believe this number confirms that the bike is a 1991 Explosif and not a Hot. Tom Teesdale has confirmed that he took on the building of Hots right from the outset and all of his frames bear the TET stamp. Most Konas have either an H (Hodaka) or F (Fairly) number, denoting the factory the frame was made in. I have heard of two other Konas with T numbers, both of which were 1991 Explosifs, and Joe@Konaworld said that the T stood for Tange. Never got to the bottom of that, whether it meant that the Tange factory itself used to build frames I don't know.

Haggis may be right that the US market is less impressed by the Hot tag, but Kona certainly tried to talk it up as best they could - this is from the 1991 catalogue, the first time the Hot was marketed.

"It is possible to quantify the difference between an individually hand-crafted mountain bike frame and a production bike. It is worth the wait for an American built frame for those who understand and ride mountain bikes to the limit. Kona Hot is the collaboration of Joe Murray and one of America's most experienced and respected mountain bike builders. It takes advantage of Tange Prestige Concept tubing, and is TIG welded for strength and light weight. ... In addition, Kona's custom selection of colours, braze-ons, component groups and component options let you create the bike of your dreams."

It certainly used to cost a lot more than an Explosif, so if it sold in large numbers then on the face of it the marketing must have convinced people that it was worth a lot more.

I've read that Teesdale didn't always stamp all his bikes TET. I don't think that Tange ever built frames - I think Hodaka was the go to place, though I may be mistaken.

How many T "Explosifs" have you seen? I had discussions with you about a Hot that I sold that had a T serial number. I bought it from the original owner who was a bike industry guy who said it was a Hot. I think that the info you have is not complete.

It it seems possible to me that Kona was looser and less consistent than the analysis here suggests, particularly with their semi-custom bikes.

bushpig":34mwn0vr said:
I've read that Teesdale didn't always stamp all his bikes TET. I don't think that Tange ever built frames - I think Hodaka was the go to place, though I may be mistaken.

How many T "Explosifs" have you seen? I had discussions with you about a Hot that I sold that had a T serial number. I bought it from the original owner who was a bike industry guy who said it was a Hot. I think that the info you have is not complete.

It it seems possible to me that Kona was looser and less consistent than the analysis here suggests, particularly with their semi-custom bikes.
As I said, the information that Tom Teesdale stamped all his frames with TET came from Tom Teesdale.

The person who corresponded with him had a 1991 Explosif Pro with a T number very similar to that of the frame that you sold.

Your contention appears to amount to either Tom Teesdale is wrong, or else Kona marketed as Hots some bikes that Tom hadn't built. I suppose either of those is possible, but neither seems likely. Would it not have been illegal under US consumer law for Kona to sell bikes as Hots that differed in such a fundamental way from the description in the brochure?

I wouldn't be shocked to find that Teesdale is mistaken. Like I said, I've heard both from him. Did Tange ever build frames?

bushpig":x5vq45ib said:
I wouldn't be shocked to find that Teesdale is mistaken. Like I said, I've heard both from him. Did Tange ever build frames?
So Tom Teesdale has told you at some times that he stamped all his frames with TET, but at other times he has said that he didn't? And I wonder, did he say that a serial number like T9109 could have been one of his?

bushpig":3so689zl said:

This is not unbelievable; with all the frames that Teesdale built isn't it a reasonable assumption that some got by without the stamp.

Anthony and yourself are both using Teesdale as a source, but I would lean with bushpig on this due to things I've read with Kona's customs not being so meticulous about their serial numbers.

Then again, I didn't receive this info first hand, from like Teesdale himself. Anyone care to provide a link to a TT interview where one or the other is stated?

Interesting thread; good think the bike is too large for me :p

I am just skeptical - and think that no matter what the bike is a sweet deal at that price. I can tell who made my bikes without looking at the serial num ;)

FluffyChicken":2enhnyou said:
Give him a ring/email and invite him here for a chat ;)

Tom Teesdale / T.E.T Cycles
403 S. Maple
West Branch, IA 52358

Voice 319-643-2073
Fax 319-643-2548

e-mail info@tetcycles.com

ah nice...I lived out in Iowa for several years- the state of perfect nothingness.

I miss it...sometimes.

bushpig":2enhnyou said:
I am just skeptical - and think that no matter what the bike is a sweet deal at that price. I can tell who made my bikes without looking at the serial num ;)

ah well then....excuse meee
haha ;)

reminds me, I have to send you a pm about a certain black 730 hub :D

Latest posts

Back