Tange Switchblade fork steerer question

Darton

Manitou Fan
Hi mates,

I purchased a switchblade fork but the previous owner did something terrible with the steerer so I have to change it...
Anybody has any experience about steerer tube replacement ? Can I use 1 1/8 threadless or just 1" threaded? and what about the crown race mount?

Thanks !
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20200506_181348.jpg
    IMG_20200506_181348.jpg
    858.5 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_20200506_181407.jpg
    IMG_20200506_181407.jpg
    664.4 KB · Views: 328
Re:

Nice, love a pair of switchblades.

It doesn't matter if you use a threaded or treadless steerer, but ideally you will need to change the fork crown to fit different steerer sizes. I guess you could try to shim the steerer if you have a 1 1/8" crown and wish to fit a 1" steerer, but I wouldn't recommend it personally.

You will also need a crown race adaptor in order to fit this to the steerer, this should slot neatly into the recessed part in the picture. Here's one such example for sale on Ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crown-Race-M ... 3459516128

Hope this helps :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
As Ian says, you will need to find a straight 28.6mm/1-1/8" diameter steerer (without the head race bulge at the bottom) plus a headset race shim.
These style steerers should always have either the circlip in a groove (as below), or a small formed flange to stop the steerer pulling through the crown.

Threaded or threadless is just your preference down to headset/stem choice. Threads can be extended if you find a steerer that's too long.

Anything specifically Tange is going to be hard to find, so you should try Pace steerers and shims...they used the same straight through + shim system and are lot more common around this neck of the woods..

PS: The small drilled hole seems to serve no purpose, you can ignore it.

All the best,

Attachments

• WIN_20200510_15_32_56_Pro (2) (Medium).jpg
    WIN_20200510_15_32_56_Pro (2) (Medium).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 282
Re:

What size steerer does the current fork have? If 1 inch, you will be limited to that as a replacement due to the crown hole that it fits through.

If the precious steerer was 1 1/8 and you want to use a 1 inch steerer, you can use a shim to take it down. Pace forks worked in this way successfully.

In both cases, the choice of threaded forms ahead style steerer is yours and will depend on your choice of headset and stem.

Should I measure the hole diameter in the crown? I thought the tange produced one type corwn with different steerer and mount. Or exist different crown type?
Thanks!

Re:

If you know what crown/steerer you have, you know what's possible with it. If 1 inch, younger limited to a 1 inch steerer, or at least some form of custom steerer that would be 1 inch in the crown, but allow a 1 1/8 headset at the crown race.

Back