Talk to me about Saab Turbo estates.

Not quite true, buy the wrong one and its a Cavalier!

A 95 is a bit more old school SAAB as its on the Alfa/ Fiat/SAAB platform

But, SAAB are what GM thought they were when GM stuff was no better than the Fiat (diesel) engines it uses and allows to break quicker than Fiat can ooze them out.

The estates are put together quite nicely and are mechanically in a parallel universe to its Vectra/ Insignia brothers. The equipment is nice and theres a double din slot for the audio - very important! Theres a troublesome v6 turbo out there, only seen one but pleasant to know they exist.

16v Fiat Diesels are good for 200BHP but suffer from clogged thingies that I forget the name of and suffer swirl flap failure. A few garages have a way around their expensive replacement. Injectors and pumps can fail.

8v Diesels are again Fiat sourced and are a bit more robust but listen for rumbling down deep in the engine - big end bearings. EGR can be blocked off the day you buy it (it may leave an eml on though) and it will run 50 times better.

Thats all from memory but SAAB forums and owners will tell you a lot more

Re:

I went up to Bristol to pick up my new 9-5 2.2 TiD Sportwagon last Saturday... took it for a test drive and it was smoking like Ivor the engine, drove home without a new daily Saab.

Not happy!

Still looking for one though.

Not adding a single thing to the post, sorry!

al.

The 9-3 based on Vectra and the newer ones based on the Insignia.
The 2.8 Turbo has the same Vauxhall engine as the Insignia VXR?
Pretty sure it wasn't the Vectra VXR as they are FWD.

Thanks for the info there Mr Cheese.
The miles I do, would stick with a petrol turbo :)

Shall look about on Saab forums.

Al, hope you didn't travel far.

Re:

No, just a 400 mile round trip.

al.

Re:

I had a 93 estate about 5 years ago, same as the one you show but in grey.

The gearbox was so notchy I couldn't get it into gear sometimes, my better half blamed my bad driving until she drove it.

Then the alternator packed in at 20,000miles.

Then the electrics played up, seatbelt recoil also kept jamming, plus other little niggles.

They are nice looking cars if you are set upon having one, but and this is only my opinion and I could have been unlucky there are much better estates out there.

Bloody hell...I've been from Essex to Newcastle to pick up a car once.
We arrived and it was nowhere near described.
Hired a low loader for the day too.
In the end we came to an agreement on price, only because we had traveled so far.
If it was local, wouldn't have touched it.

Ritz, am learning about them, need to get info before buying one.
Thanks for your views.
:)

Re:

Mine was a lease car at the time so I wasn't hit with the bills and it could have been a Friday afternoon car.

The problems I had with mine though seem to be unfortunately common if you google them.

Latest posts

Back