Swallows Return?

Swifts always remind me of driving home from Le Mans on balmy summer evenings through pretty French towns- every time you slow at junctions you can hear their screeches above. Happy times.
We also have House Martins in the next village along and in late summer they fly into the swallow populated areas over our farm. It's great being able to see both flying together, darting around, chasing and playing. I like them all but the long tail streamers and the deep glossy blue make the Swallows look so much more elegant in flight. Magical creatures.
I'm wondering if I will get to see any at the new place this year?

Keep your eyes peeled the next 10 days or so.

Cheers
Si

So ...

saw the little bleeders a couple of days ago 5 miles to the south of me; saw them today on the outskirts of York north of me; but they're avoiding my gaff so far.

Here's a slightly too detailed thought: do they move in an even northwards procession, or exploit local weather conditions, following the warm weather as it happens in fits and starts?

The fact that a cold, north sea fret has taken residence might be keeping them at bay. It certainly puts me off venturing far.

Yeah i saw them around by the Castle Howard estates on Sunday. Fantastic to watch :cool:

Not a sniff up here. 17th is the latest they have arrived in the last 10 years that I have lived here. Maybe that cold sea fret has slowed them? Got 3-4 days of better weather ahead now so we will see.

Thanks for keeping an eye out guys.

Si

Back