Suspension seatposts - any good - Advice please??

gerryattrick

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
What's the view on suspension seatposts? I have lower back problems and have read about the clear benefits on muscle damage of rear suspension. There was research done in Germany that measured impacts/vibration on the back which showed that full-suspension reduced impacts by 33% while suspension seatposts still gave a creditable 25% reduction.

My riding is mostly road, trails and cross-country, but I'm not into downhill or jumps etc., (far too old) and my rides are normally between 20 – 25 miles. Even the road riding round where I live is bumpy due to the rubbish street repairs where 2” deep holes have been replaced by 2” high mounds.

I like riding hardtails and don't want to switch to full-suspension, but am considering a suspension seatpost.

Has anyone got experience of using them; are they any good; and any recommendations for a good make.

Cane Creek Thudbuster.

Expensive, not really retro but the best sus post there is.

Cheaper sus posts ones have a fair bit of lateral play in them

I did a fair amount of time with a suspension seatpost on my hardtail. Before that was the foam saddle with springs. The ticket was both of them together. The best post was the Post-Moderne.
post-moderne-solace-comp-tp_1395608021730113678.png

68-37-400-Avenir_Plush-Plus-Bicycle-Seat.jpg

If you get a bike with a good rear suspension layout, the benefits are much better than a sus post and or sprung saddle. I have a 5 inch travel full sus bike and I won't go back to a hardtail in the woods, as the comfort and control are Soooo much better. I do use a sus post on the back of the Tandem, but only because it doesn't have rear suspension, and the Stoker can't see the bumps coming! The sus post is, at best, a poor substitute for the real thing, but better than nothing.

I used to run a rockshox suspension post on a zaskar I raced and thought it was great as long as you took it for what it was.

Still got 100% power where you needed it ;)

I use a suss post, im a pretty heavy guy (235lbs) and was finding the bigger bumps pretty painful on my back during longer rides. Now i use the post i have no worries and no problems with my back on long rides. I have other mates that have used them and hated them so i would see if you can get a test ride first!

I tried a USE suspension seatpost on my tandem.
Too many friction, the suspension worked very bad. The cane-creek system is very better than a telescopic seatpost.

A good alternative too : titanium seatpost ;)

I had an answer sus post in the 90s and it ran on needle bearings and was actually very good,if you can find one now it would be worth a try as they are reasonably priced,about 50 pounds,there was one on ebay a few weeks ago.

+1 for Post-Moderne.I used my for a year or so
Not brilliant but it really does take the sharp edge of bumps and saves a bit of impact strain on the frame.

I've only tried a Thudbuster but have found it excellent and well worth the money. The one thing I would recommend is the - over priced - cover for winter riding. Keeps all the crap off it.

Back