Suspension fork 26" 80-100mm travel. V brake - help/ advice

Threadingham

Dirt Disciple
Bought a couple of old treks think around 2001 (6700 alpha zx) and 2005 (6500 slr) with the intention of making one good bike but been sucked in and want to keep both alive. Already got help with the full drive train on the 6700 but now I need to replace both fork sets. What is the best thing to do, used seems a minefield. I am new to bike mechanics with only cheap tools etc. The 6700 has rock shox judy c and the 6500 manitou axel elite 80 which feel bad on the rebound. I assume its best to try and replace.? Would be nice to lose some weight if possible.

Some forks are easy to service yourself, some not so your best bet would be to buy a set of used forks with a service history or some good pics of the fork so you can get an idea of condition. Description of their working condition is a must.

The Judy is a coil fork, so an air fork will be lighter. Not sure about the axel elite, but I don't think the axel was particularly good.

Finding a fork that fits your bill will just be a case of searching. Decent V brake forks are out there. Depending on your budget I'd be looking at fox floats, as you can get v versions of these, it's also possible to find rebas and sids with the 32mm stanchions. Magura did decent forks, marzocchi too. Depends on what you can find, like and are in usable condition.

Make sure you measure your current steerer and get a fork with one at least the same length or longer. You can add spacers but while you can get steerer extenders, they are a bodge imo and will add weight.

Some forks are easy to service yourself, some not so your best bet would be to buy a set of used forks with a service history or some good pics of the fork so you can get an idea of condition. Description of their working condition is a must.

The Judy is a coil fork, so an air fork will be lighter. Not sure about the axel elite, but I don't think the axel was particularly good.

Finding a fork that fits your bill will just be a case of searching. Decent V brake forks are out there. Depending on your budget I'd be looking at fox floats, as you can get v versions of these, it's also possible to find rebas and sids with the 32mm stanchions. Magura did decent forks, marzocchi too. Depends on what you can find, like and are in usable condition.

Make sure you measure your current steerer and get a fork with one at least the same length or longer. You can add spacers but while you can get steerer extenders, they are a bodge imo and will add weight.
Morning, great response thank you. So basically look for air forks. The elite 80s just feel awful, a real bang on the return stage. I am not that practical but will have a go at things. I have had a stumpjumper m2 (2000) from new and the manitous sx-r on these I really like and still good as new. I will try and hunt down one of your recommendations, budget is under £100 for first bike, I will then move onto 2nd. Cheers stu

Took the advice and bought some magura forks off ebay for £58 and they are lovely. Bit of a mission for a novice to fit and had a bit of a nightmare but so pleased with end result, bike rides lovely. Pic attached if anyone knows the fork model. Few bits left to sort but so glad i saved this bike. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20240918_163904.jpg
    20240918_163904.jpg
    978.7 KB · Views: 6
Back