Suntour/Shimano compatibility

andyz

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Do 8-speed XC-pro thumbies work correctly with a Shimano M737 rear mech in index mode? Anyone tried?

Cheers,
Andrew

edit: This is with a Shimano 8-speed cassette.

Been using that combination on and of since '94 and the only prob i have had was cause by pivot bolt bushing worn on the M739 mech.

Although there is only a ball hair's difference in cassette width between the two brands, the Suntour thumbies actually pull less cable per click and the Suntour rear mechs require slightly less cable pull to move between each sprocket. This is where you'd be more likely to encounter compatibility issues. So, your Suntour shifters may not move your Shimano rear mech quite enough to cover the distance between the sprockets of your 8 speed cassette. That's my experience anyway.
There are ways around this though, such as using the narrower spacers from a 9 speed cassette in place of 8 speed spacers. I've used Suntour XC Expert 8 speed thumbies with Shimano M735 and M751 mechs on a 9 speed cassette with great success. A cheeky wee over-shift past the last click brings the thumbie onto its friction plate, which I found was enough to hold the derailleur against its limit stop over the biggest sprocket.

bikey :)":7ryx4mml said:
Although there is only a ball hair's difference in cassette width between the two brands, the Suntour thumbies actually pull less cable per click and the Suntour rear mechs require slightly less cable pull to move between each sprocket. This is where you'd be more likely to encounter compatibility issues. So, your Suntour shifters may not move your Shimano rear mech quite enough to cover the distance between the sprockets of your 8 speed cassette. That's my experience anyway.
There are ways around this though, such as using the narrower spacers from a 9 speed cassette in place of 8 speed spacers. I've used Suntour XC Expert 8 speed thumbies with Shimano M735 and M751 mechs on a 9 speed cassette with great success. A cheeky wee over-shift past the last click brings the thumbie onto its friction plate, which I found was enough to hold the derailleur against its limit stop over the biggest sprocket.

Interesting experience. It does remember me that I once used 7-Speed Command shifters with a Shimano STX rear mech on a 9-speed cassette. OK, that was while touring in Siberia so my level of technical perfection was a bit adapted to the local habits ;).
Another question, for more of a road use, has anyone ever used Suntour mechs with Campagnolo Ergopower shifters? I've heard some rumours that the Sachs Ergopowers work with Suntour Superbe Pro rear mechs.

I have never tried Sachs Ergopowers with a Suntour mech I very much expect it would work. The reason for this is that the Sachs Ergos were a different cable pull to Campagnolo Ergos (though the Sachs levers were made by Campag). This was to work with Sachs mechs that were compatable with Shimano/Suntour.
Another "trick" I have used for years is 9 speed Campagnolo Ergos and rear mech and 8 speed Shimano rear cassetts.
This is because after giving up racing 14 years ago I have become some thing of a "big unit" (6ft 6 & close to 18 stone)
and I have always had fewer problems Shimano hubs than Campag ones. Due to there design I tend to bend Campag axles or on the newer designs total the bearings.
Due to this I run a Suntour XC Pro rear hub on my Euclid equiped Gios MTB. I always go for what works for ME and not what might be "correct".

I have suntour 7/8 speed xc pro thumbies set in 8s mode, shifting perfectly with a long cage M739 rear mech across a 13-28 sunrace 8 speed cassette. perfect shifts up and down the whole cassette :D

foz":181qleyr said:
I have suntour 7/8 speed xc pro thumbies set in 8s mode, shifting perfectly with a long cage M739 rear mech across a 13-28 sunrace 8 speed cassette. perfect shifts up and down the whole cassette :D

Thanks for all the replies - I'll give it a go with the above setup and see how I get on. Didn't a race team use a similar setup in the early 90's? Was it Pace?

Cheers,
Andrew

Back