Suggestions for a first time project

Looking at the forks in question and the rusting bolts, i would guess that they will be siezed. I have had several cases where the heads sheared off which then required drilling and re tapping. A little heat wont harm as long as it is done with care.

lewis1641":1karb1e6 said:
I stripped several rc 36's without the need for soaking them or needing heat. In fact i'd say you are likely to do more harm than good using heat. Just go steady.

I'm amused that the thread started wanting a cheap retro steel with rigid fork and you've ended up with a freshly powdercoated klein with rc36's!

Keep up the good work.

Lewis, I had seen DrS on his Yo Eddy and thought. I like that idea. Giving something just about dead a new lease of life. Did not want to spend big money but thought I could tidy something up, braze on brake mounts and cable guides etc. Learn as I went along sort of thing.

The Klein has been with me from day one. I was, however, a bit wary of posting anything about it as I had seen "a lack of love" for lower end/ Trek ones like mine. Then I got to thinking that what I really wanted was to make it back into something that "I" covet again. As really that is what matters.

As an aside. new wheels turned up today.. Need a clean though but well chuffed with them...

Back