Suggestions for a first time project

I'll stick my neck out here and say please put that frame in the bin. It looks aluminium from the pictures ( is that the Klein you mentioned earlier? ) and that very point ( photo 1 ) on old alu non-gussetted frames, under the downtube/headtube join, is where they failed. It looks already like a crack forming.

Thanks for all the advise guys. In a fit of madness last night I got it in to my head that as the paint/dents have been like this for at least 8 years I was willing to take the risk on a new paint job. That and even if it is not a desirable bike it has earned some TLC in my eyes.

Stripped it down last night and dropped it with the powder coaters this morning. I went in there with a colour in mind, not the original I have to admit, and then spent another age debating whilst looking at the samples on the wall.

In the end I went for a really bright white. Have I done wrong?

I would see what happens, I'm sure it will look pretty cool and stay in one piece :)

Saying that if you need a good value steel frame in the future look no further than an older specialized stumpjumper...the one I had rode better than my Kona Hot - wish I never sold it :(

So, got the frame back from the powder coaters. Very happy with the finish.
DSC00859.jpg

The next thing to address was the forks. I have managed to get some Pace RC36. They seem perfectly serviceable with regards to functionality. Some of the alloy bits, ie. The brake bosses and the two "bridge" pieces and the top of the lowers have a bit of oxidation. Some of the hex bolts also could do with the oxidation removed.

Am i safe to start unscrewing and applying Autosol and elbow grease? Photos to follow....

Here is a pic of the forks I am intending to fit. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Are these in keeping?

DSC02894.jpg

Would like some advise on taking of the bridge pieces and brake bosses to clean up and polish. See pics for hard to reach dirt and oxidation:
DSC02888.jpg

DSC02889.jpg

Hi Andy,
RC36s are dead easy to strip and clean up. If they need anything more serious then Tim Price at Fork English is yer man. As for stripping down, just be careful when undoing the bolts- they are small and can round off easily. I would soak them in penetrating oil for a few days, give them a light tap with a hammer and apply a little heat before even attempting to turn them.

Frame looks good btw. Are you out for a ride on Thursday? Or just a few pints in The Plough?

Si

Cheers for the advise Si, They seem to have plush travel. Was very surprised by that! Have already gave the drop outs a good polish, made one hell of a difference for just five minutes work. Like-wise the two bridge (for want of the correct terminology) pieces and the mounting areas.

Will I be OK to try and loosen the brake bosses? Anything to watch out for?

I don't suppose an exploded diagram exist? Google seems to have failed me.

The Plough shall be seeing my custom on Thursday. Might even go for a ride first :shock:

Got a time in mind?

Andy

No exploded diagrams that i'm aware of, but they are fairly straightforward. Again, just be careful not to round out those bolts.

Seven PM for Thursday night (at the riverside). Try and avoid the clarts this week.

I stripped several rc 36's without the need for soaking them or needing heat. In fact i'd say you are likely to do more harm than good using heat. Just go steady.

I'm amused that the thread started wanting a cheap retro steel with rigid fork and you've ended up with a freshly powdercoated klein with rc36's!

Keep up the good work.

Back