STX Shimanos ginger step kid?

My marin is largely stx and 15 years on it all still performs faultlessly.
Whether I'm on the trails or delivering papers.

Maxipedia":1d1kj74f said:
poweredbypies":1d1kj74f said:
Yes they were dragged outside lined up against a wall and shot by the management :LOL:

I don't mean to spoil your fun - maybe I would've written the same, but the guy I am talking about had a horrid car crash in 2003 and his impact on Romanian mountainbiking was huge, as was his heart. May he rest in peace!

I still hope the above makes for a good read! I'm not sure anyone from the company would admit such a terrible faux-pas, so asking them would be pointless...

Mx

It was only said as a joke :oops:

Ive had a good few bikes with full stx parts on and every stx/rc part on those bikes never let me down,so i would consider them as good decent reliable parts that do the job they was intended to do.:)

Groundoggy":3bqvnt3s said:
...and now that you're all growed up if you still have that old frame you should upgrade it to XT components if you want to take it out on the trail routinely and give it the abuse it deserves. That is unless you haven't outgrown your paper route yet and you are still relying on dwindling paper route tips for your bike schwag.

Not trying to be elitist at all. It's a simple fact that 'price point' bikes existed. Some of those frames equipped with lower end STX type parts are decent enough frames but I wouldn't want to restrict the frame to stock components that simply aren't as high quality as XT. Maybe the front derailleur isn't too bad. Doesn't mean the XT isn't just a tad better.

XT parts are great parts. XTR you pay a premium for. That is my main point. I might not place a premium on replacing DX/LX stuff but surely an STX component level can be upgraded to XT at a reasonable price today.

A bit retro snobbish perhaps - but reality is that few true top end frames were equipped with STX. The bikes you DO find with STX you better take a close look at because it might be a decent frame with lower end parts or it might be just a crap frame with lower end parts.

XT was below XTR and therefore irrelevant to me. Mid level stuff that should be ditched for XTR if you still have the bike and have at least 2 paper rounds and a job delivering pizzas at night.

;)

I have some stx/rc stuff do I go for matching groupset or just use the best bits I have it would end up with at least 3 different g/sets on it tho.

If I choose to go matching anyone have any stx rc bit's sitting unloved in their garage? would need f/mech and chainset. Have a few bits of higher up stuff to swap.

Back