stupid question about rims.

clockworkgazz

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
When do you need to replace a set of rims?

I have original mavics on the orange and they do have a concave feel to them- figure that I still stop when I hit the brakes so they are still good to go but am I living in denial? :?:

Sounds as though the end is fairly nigh, but can you feel any give in them when you apply V-brakes?

If you use cantis and you can feel give in them, then I guess they really must be on their last legs!

there are of course varying degrees on concavity...

one day they'll basically go snap/ splinter and then you'll know.

buy ceramics instead...worth the extra cash. Last loads longer.

:D

The normal common way is to get a good flat edge or ruler on the rim surface and measure the deepest gap if its 1mm or more there worn bad but when they split depends how thick the sidewall is and what pressures you run ! Ive seen rims peel off like the lid of a can !

When the rim splits and the tube goes bang you know you have taken things too far..
Some rims are concave anyway, hard to tell how much wear. If they are 231s, then they really should not be concave!

Thanks folks, just checked the rims (mavic energy m7cd's), the fronts are ok just some scoring not really that concave.
:)
As you would expect the rear rim is much more worn, would say it is concave by about 1 mm but no give at all and I run v's rather than canti's.

Will run them for now (don't do offroad with my orange) but will look at ceramic for replacements- thanks for the advice. :D

Latest posts

Back