Steerer tube cutting and threading tools

Giom6

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

I need to cut and add a few mm's of new threads to a 1" steerer tube.

Has anybody got a cutter guide and threading set I could borrow for a couple of days? Would cover postage etc.

Can't justify buying the tools but I want to do it myself.

Cheers

In all honesty I didn't think it would be that difficult with the right tools :oops:

Thanks for the links I'll take a look at them today :)

Whats annoying is that I probably only need about two/three more millimetres of thread to get the headset tight and then I could just trim the rest of the steerer which wouldn't be so bad!

The image attached shows how close it is... :?

Attachments

• DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 221
Wouldn't it be easier to drop the bottom cup a couple of mm with a custom washer/shim?

I thought I recognised the finish :cool:

Ref the crown race : I can't see your forks but there are a few types out there that have a separate collar on them to mount the crown race. If yours have this, remove it and send it to Intrincycle (or similar) - get them to make you a replacement which is a couple of mm thicker ?

WD :D

Ah, I get you now.

I got the collar from Rampage. The forks are RC35's. I could see if they would do a bigger one.

Is it bad form to move the steerer down two mil in the crown, as that would sort the problem out too? :?

I don't know those forks to comment accurately, but I guess so long as it is secured in the same way and the crown race still seats properly - why not ?

WD :D

Back