Steel YETI repaint - seeking recommendations

regan_ev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
I’ve had a frame repainted by Argos in bristol before but I’m thinking of - ergo I’m going to be - repainting my latest acquisition, a 92 Yeti Pro FRO.

I’ve got the RAL codes for the grey and turquoise but looking for recommendations in addition to/instead of Argos. Nothin against them, they’re great, but I’m hoping for a cheaper, quicker turnaround and would consider power coating, which I believe it would’ve been originally? Will also need spears added, typical Yeti style.

Particularly looking for recommendations from people having done Yeti restorations.

UK only.

Re:

Hmmm that’s not quite the ‘quicker and cheaper’ option which the OP asked for really ... more like the response to the question ‘I’m looking for for a much more expensive option which will takes loads longer...’

LeeDevelopment":2t9d4sjb said:
(Comment deleted)

Ahh dude, I didn;t see your comment. :cry:

PM me if you don't want to reinstate it, I'm keen to hear all opinions! Cheers :)

Re: Re:

2manyoranges":3bik8t57 said:
Hmmm that’s not quite the ‘quicker and cheaper’ option which the OP asked for really ... more like the response to the question ‘I’m looking for for a much more expensive option which will takes loads longer...’

Ha, longer and dearer is not really what I want but I'm keen to hear all opinions and advice.

I didn't see LeeD's comment, but I can only think that the most expensive and longest-to-achieve option will be sending the frame to Spectrum in the US, which is a complete no-no for me.

LeeDevelopment":285b72kf said:
Removing Spectrum from the equation, if you're on Instagram have a look at @thepowdershack and @fatcreations
Thanks man. I’ve followed Ali at FatCreations for ages. Was talking to a few people about him yesterday and he’s flat out busy at the moment. Literally too much work on. Not heard of PowderShack, will look them up. :)

regan_ev":125kf6sp said:
I’ve had a frame repainted by Argos in bristol before but I’m thinking of - ergo I’m going to be - repainting my latest acquisition, a 92 Yeti Pro FRO.

I’ve got the RAL codes for the grey and turquoise but looking for recommendations in addition to/instead of Argos. Nothin against them, they’re great, but I’m hoping for a cheaper, quicker turnaround and would consider power coating, which I believe it would’ve been originally? Will also need spears added, typical Yeti style.

Particularly looking for recommendations from people having done Yeti restorations.

UK only.

Hi Reagan-

I am not 100% certain exactly when Yeti changed from wet paint to powder coating, but it was before 92' and I'm pretty sure it was between 89' & 90'. My 88' steel FRO was wet painted while my 90' Ultimate was powder coated, so you'd be using the correct process if you chose powder for your 92' and it may actually be faster than having it painted. A.R.C.s were powder coated and the grey A.R.C.s were actually bare aluminum, lightly bead blasted and then powder coated clear, yielding that cool "battle ship" light gray hue. Using the same process on steel would likely result in a different tone.

The 93' catalog offered a "clear" option which is the gray you see on A.R.C.s along with an actual gray option which is confusing :?

In 94', Yeti discontinued clear and matte black and moved to the yellow/turquoise team colors as found on my A.R.C.-AS.

bvYDmw.jpg

I can't help with a UK based powder coater however :D
If you would have had it make a stop over in CO from CA prior to coming across the pond, I could def have helped and it wouldn't have been Spectrum.

Cheers mate!

Smithjss70":37lbkoij said:
Hi Reagan-

I am not 100% certain exactly when Yeti changed from wet paint to powder coating, but it was before 92' and I'm pretty sure it was between 89' & 90'. My 88' steel FRO was wet painted while my 90' Ultimate was powder coated, so you'd be using the correct process if you chose powder for your 92' and it may actually be faster than having it painted. A.R.C.s were powder coated and the grey A.R.C.s were actually bare aluminum, lightly bead blasted and then powder coated clear, yielding that cool "battle ship" light gray hue. Using the same process on steel would likely result in a different tone.

The 93' catalog offered a "clear" option which is the gray you see on A.R.C.s along with an actual gray option which is confusing :?

In 94', Yeti discontinued clear and matte black and moved to the yellow/turquoise team colors as found on my A.R.C.-AS.

I can't help with a UK based powder coater however :D
If you would have had it make a stop over in CO from CA prior to coming across the pond, I could def have helped and it wouldn't have been Spectrum.

Cheers mate!
Jason
Thank you so much for such an informative post, some of which I knew but on the whole, it’s news to me. Thoroughly appreciated.

So, I guess I might have to shift my completion expectations to Xmas 2019, get the frame boxed, return your Onza Ti barends and put a Yeti jersey in there for you, eh?!

I hate being a retro geek especially when it gets anally particular and expensive!

Latest posts

Back