Steel or Aluminium

was it keith bontrager who said that is 4130 cromo were developed today it would be hailed as the greatest frame material on the planet

Buy the 'dale, get that itch out of the way take it for a lot of rides in the style you ride. It may or may not work for you.
I know with steel frames I've used, especially higher end ones you need to ride them quickly and not plod along. At that point the frame 'kicks in' and starts to work, often by design. Early 90's RM Blizzard are an example I even think this was mentioned in it's review, my RM Altitude is the similar, its comfy and easy at the slower pootling speed but crank it up and it livens up, smooths the ground and becomes easier to ride.
My Fusion on the other hand works extremely well a the plod along speeds but find the quicker speeds a bit harsh

So in effect your riding style may vary. So give it a go.
(ok so it's hard to describe what I mean, just give it a go and try others bikes out)

For making coke cans aluminium is best. For making bicycles steel is best.

I hope this helps you make your decision.

Alloy is stiff.Therefore the power transfer is good so sprinting/climbing is great,but the ride is harsh and uncomfortable.
Steel is like Ti, flexible[to some degree :?]giving a more compliant ride.

I think the real differences that affect us are that steel is very easy to repair whereas alloy is not :?

Without wishing to be rude, it's a bit of a silly question. One steel frame is nothing like another steel frame, one aluminium frame is nothing like another aluminium frame. A doubled-butted steel frame is better than a plain-gauge aluminium frame. A doubled-butted aluminium frame is better than a plain-gauge steel frame. The quality is more important than the material.

If it helps, I have the June 1995 MBUK here. In a test of three aluminium bikes, the Orange E3 was reckoned easily the best, the Cannondale M900 not. The M900 weighed 3.8lbs and was described as a 'good, solid frame'. The E3 weighed 3.4lbs and was described as 'superb'.

The E3 was made of generic 7005. I have just built up an Orange E4, which is made of Easton Elite and weighs about the same as the E3. I find it rides pretty similarly to high-end steel frames, maybe more solid feeling, but not uncomfortable at all. The only aluminium hardtail I had ridden before was a 1999 Stumpjumper M2 that I bought and set up for a friend. He is very pleased with it, but I thought it was terrible - heavy and dead compared to my lighter steel bikes.

Anthony":2zip33qy said:
Without wishing to be rude, it's a bit of a silly question. One steel frame is nothing like another steel frame, one aluminium frame is nothing like another aluminium frame. A doubled-butted steel frame is better than a plain-gauge aluminium frame. A doubled-butted aluminium frame is better than a plain-gauge steel frame. The quality is more important than the material.

Not rude at all, just highlighting a very valid point!

for my tourers i always use steel

and for my mtbs i've tended to use steel as they have a bit more bounce and give than ali which tends to be more rigid and a harder ride ..although some sus units temper this out

for most it's a case of get on it and try it yourself

Back