Steel frame bike with Shimano 600 Arabesque groupset

Coxleopard

Retro Newbie
My bike for sale.

The full description is on the Ebay listing here.

the frame is just a little too small for me. The guy who sold me the frame had this to say about it: "...was used and raced in the 70's by [SR BANTING] who was a member of Hemel Hempstead Cycling Club. He thought it might have been made by Condor Cycles."

Whatever the frame is, it’s is very nice.

If you have any quezzies please let me know!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ok, this is based on the notes I have and photos I took at the time.

I bought the frame, wheels, and drops from a chap on Facebook. He thought the frame was a Condor, as he bought the bike from someone at Hemel Hempstead Cycling Club, who apparently used it to race for years. For reasons described later, I cannot verify if this is true.

I fitted a 116mm Shimano type sealed cartridge BB and added a 1.5mm spacer to get the chain line correct.

I completely serviced the hubs on the front and rear wheels. They ran true but the grease was pretty grungy.

The groupset I wanted was the Shimano Arabesque. And this was probably the biggest task on the build. As is well known, I think, the plastic part on the rear derailleur perishes. This one was on its way, and rather than wait for it to break I thought I'd replace. Photos below show the process.

1723276762483.jpeg
Original plastic barrel, showing a crack in the plastic.

1723276706673.jpeg
Replacement spring holding part made from aluminium, next to original part.

1723276620550.png
Showing the part in place.

1723276644599.png
Test assembly.

1723276792801.jpeg
Aluminium tube installed.

I have the original part, and if anyone who bought the bike would like it, they can have it. Equally, if anyone would like me to do this fix for them, I'd be open to it.

Drop bars that came with the bike were the wrong diameter for arabesque levers, so needed new drops. New bar tape installed.
new seat post. New saddle.

Down tube shifter fitting was also a bit involved. I cannot recall the exact issue, but related to the frame having brazed on shifter mounts, but the arabesque groupset being band on. I got a few bits from a bike co-op to get the arabesque shifters mounted on the braze ons. I can't remember what these bits are called but you can see them in this photo. Again, I have the band on parts and would supply them to a buyer if requested.

1723277198957.png

So what is the frame?

The frame had this on it when I bought it (came off with t-cut):
1723277315071.jpeg

The seller had this photo of the bike in the condition he bought it (as it happens the presence of Arabesque on this bike was a fluke, and made me smile):

1723277360864.jpeg
It shows the words "Hemel" on it.

The BB shell looks like this:
1723277455891.jpeg
And that, it turns out is a post code, not a frame number.

the fork is Tange.
1723278458427.jpeg

I emailed Hemel Hempstead to ask if they knew SR Banting, and they drew a blank.

So I gave up trying to work out what the frame was and just enjoyed it for what it is.

Hopefully that gives a bit more info about the build!

Last edited:
Yes, that sleeve/locator part seems to crack on arabseque 600 rear mechs. I filled the crack on mine with superglue many miles ago - still going. An early design mis step on Shimanos climb of the tech ladder.

Where did you source the replacement? Or did you make it yourself?

Last edited:
Yes, that sleeve/locator part seems to crack on arabseque 600 rear mechs. I filled the crack on mine with superglue many miles ago - still going. An early design mis step on Shimanos climb of the tech ladder.

Where did you source the replacement? Or did you make it yourself?
I made it myself. I thought about the glue approach, but liked the idea of making something. I still have the original bit and so glue is still an option.

Back