SS now means SEVEN speed!

My Kilauea has a 9 speed set up at present with a 32t middleburn uno up front and i love it. I've only ever found that i could possibly use a larger selection of gears on really long descents and my chain has came of a couple of times but not that many. I say go for it as would still be relatively hard work, just not as hard as a SS.

chain assasin

Yep craig - thats the thing on front chain ring - I'd hardly say something to go wrong though as it clamps round bike tube. It could only go wrong if you forgot to tighten up bolts. Just added piece of mind.

I've been running 7spd for a couple of years, as have a few other people I know. I love it. The most important thing is to get a decent SS-specific chainring. It won't have the ramps/pins to help shift so is much less likely to drop your chain. Getting the chainline right also helps with this.

I'm running a 34 ring up front and an 11-28 at the rear. It's still a little short in the gearing for my commute home (all down hill), but works fine on the way to work! I could comfortably go to a 36 up front I think.

Craig Nicholson":3d1cl4xo said:
I get you Andy - and haven't actually tried SS because I already have knackered knees. It's an old rugby injury which flares up with normal riding on occassion (like when I did Whinlatter at the weekend).

So I really don't want to push them at all really and hence wouldn't want to try ss just incase.

Tha alfine /imotion idea is a good one but the parts gost money and I have the bits for the initial idea already plus no job so......

Well Craig - they're your knees, so obviously you know them better than anyone else :LOL: However, my knees aren't the best either (probably just old age in my case :cry: ) and, like you, I did wonder how well they'd stand up to singlespeeding - actually (touch wood) they seem to deal with SS riding at least as well as they do geared riding. I'm certainly a lot stronger climber since I've been riding a SS and the benefits cross over to when I get out on a geared bike - I use bigger gears for climbing than I used to but, ironically, smaller gears on the flat as I spin a lot better than I could before (which is why I don't run a big ring on my RM Blizzard any more ...)

Thanks for that Andy.

I'm thinking I can run seven gears and if I want to, try to ride it single speed without the expense of trying SS then having to go back.

The ethos of SS appeals - simple bike, you and the elements etc... but I'm not up for spending the money on a conversion to find it isn't for me.

The lavadome has a rear mech and 7sp cassette on it already so it made sense to not buy a front mech and give this malarky a go.

I see where you come from though and I'll be giving it a go - lets just say I have seven single speed ratios on one bike... lol

Bobgarrod,

If you can find that source, I'm interested but it'd have to be white black or blue ;)

Chain assasin

Hi - it was marky mark. I think that the other one was in red also. But, he said he had plenty of spares. Whether this means he has arm of the device - (clamp is plain aluminium) in other colours I don't know.

I attach pic of of original ad.

Attachments

• parts close up.jpg
    parts close up.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 676
Craig - If I were you I'd certainly give seven speed a go, as you have all the bits already anyway.
I'd definitely say, having ridden SS for the last year, that I (and probably most people) could manage quite happily with an eight or nine speed setup for 99% of the time. Often all the low granny gears like 22:32 or 22:34 give you is a load of wheelspin and lack of drive to actually get over, up or through anything unless traction is no problem (and it usually is....), which is why I'm considering the Alfine/EBB option.

I turned my girlfriends bike to a 5 speed, and she never even noticed as she never shifted from the middle ring on the front anyway.

TheGreenRabbit":2lc7vunx said:
I turned my girlfriends bike to a 5 speed, and she never even noticed as she never shifted from the middle ring on the front anyway.

Sounds exactly like my wife then..... :roll:

changing gear

TheGreenRabbit":1bmu3llb said:

Ditto :D

Back