SS cogs - What are ya using?

Surly for me! good quality and value.

Cheers,Al

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'll be using a cassette hub with spacers so Surly or DX is looking favourite.

If I didn't already have some hubs I might have gone for WI Eno cogs with WI Eno cranks.

Just as a counter point lad in the LBS has a White Industries freewheel, after a year of use and no abuse whatsoever the cartridge bearing literally fell apart. He's been quoted £35 by a local bearing supplier for a replacement (non standard size apparently) and is going to get on to the sales rep for the company who distribute WI as that isn't good for such a pricey product with such a good reputation.

May just be a one off of course as everything else I have heard about WI freewheels is very positive, just thought it worth mentioning as the above happened to someone I know rather than a story I heard.

neilll":34y21m0z said:
Thanks for the feedback so far. I'll be using a cassette hub with spacers so Surly or DX is looking favourite.

You could buy 4 or 5 DX cogs for the same price as 1 Surly. Value-for-money-wise they're hard to beat. :cool:

ededwards":ruuysmov said:
Just as a counter point lad in the LBS has a White Industries freewheel, after a year of use and no abuse whatsoever the cartridge bearing literally fell apart. He's been quoted £35 by a local bearing supplier for a replacement (non standard size apparently) and is going to get on to the sales rep for the company who distribute WI as that isn't good for such a pricey product with such a good reputation.

May just be a one off of course as everything else I have heard about WI freewheels is very positive, just thought it worth mentioning as the above happened to someone I know rather than a story I heard.

I would always go with a cassette hub, spacers and splined cog for a SS set up. The chainline can be dialled in mm perfect, the wheel can be used geared, fixed, SS, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc speed whatever, the freehubs on even the cheapest cassette hubs are excellent unlike cheap freewheels.

A dedicated FW SS wheel can be built dishless of course and some say this makes a stronger wheel, maybe ultimately but in the real world it makes zero difference bar aesthetics. Virtually every rear wheel on road and MTB's has been seriously dished for decades and most have not spontaneously exploded... ;)

Max P":256rux59 said:
I would always go with a cassette hub, spacers and splined cog for a SS set up. The chainline can be dialled in mm perfect, the wheel can be used geared, fixed, SS, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc speed whatever, the freehubs on even the cheapest cassette hubs are excellent unlike cheap freewheels.

A dedicated FW SS wheel can be built dishless of course and some say this makes a stronger wheel, maybe ultimately but in the real world it makes zero difference bar aesthetics. Virtually every rear wheel on road and MTB's has been seriously dished for decades and most have not spontaneously exploded... ;)

I've got ss with a cassette hub and with the more traditional screw on hub and, as you say, no difference in use.

But how do you go fixed with a cassette hub?

ededwards":o2blarta said:
Max P":o2blarta said:

I've got ss with a cassette hub and with the more traditional screw on hub and, as you say, no difference in use.

But how do you go fixed with a cassette hub?

I think Surly do a part to transform your hub , not cheap though .

otherwise , a bit of welding on the freewheel and you are done .

I am going to order a cog from MAX P on here which is fixed on the disc holes . I may have to re dish the wheel a bit .

Back