SPIN 3 spoke wheels Truing/Bearings

ColinS

Marin Fan
Anyone got any experience of truing 3 spoke carbon SPIN wheels?

i.e. the 3 solid spoked ones.......

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/wheelset/spin/wheels/PRD_353699_157crx.aspx

spin-wheels-2.jpg

I've got a slight wobble on my set and I'd love to cure it for a road trip to Paris this Autumn!

Or it might be the front wheel bearing has a bit of play in it.

Anyone got any experience of maintaining/changing the wheel bearings on these?

Any clues?

Col.

I don't believe you can true Spin wheels,so if they're out of true you'll just have to live with it.
Changing bearings shouldn't be too difficult though,get em stripped down and see what bearings you need.

oce got told to stick them in the freezer then bring them out the next day and let them warm up naturally..never tried it meself.. :cool:

i always thought the freezer thing was an old wives tale ( or more one of those jokes you say to get someone to put a wheel in the freezer ) for mag wheels that didnt work ?

perry":7rp9eb1e said:
i always thought the freezer thing was an old wives tale ( or more one of those jokes you say to get someone to put a wheel in the freezer ) for mag wheels that didnt work ?

Yep that's true. No mag wheels will straighten up if you put them in the freezer. :roll:

Any mag wheels that get a buckle in them can't be trued. A couple of my mates had spins bitd and they had slight buckles in them from new.

Spin wheels

Has anyone got a manual or diagram for the Spins?
I have some but they need stripping and cleaning up.
I have tried to take them apart but haven't had any luck yet.

Why don't you just put then in a box and send them over. Seriously this is bicycle mechanics at is simplest form. Stop thinking SPiN wheels and start thinking "sealed bearing hubs" ....most all of them are put together the same way. You need to hammer out the old bearings and press in new ones. Are your axles hollow on the wheels. On the mountain and road versions you insert a 5mm wrench into to end of the axles to get the outer cones off and then slide the axle out. Tap the bearings out and use a threaded axle, a couple large washers and nuts to press the new bearings in.

Back