Sorted Source(s) for Mountain Cycle Pro-Stop caliper parts?

foxb13

Retro Guru
Hi,

Does anybody know where it's still possible to get spare parts for MC Pro-Stop calipers, 1st gen? I broke (or should I say it broke itself? 😱) the cable-locking screw. OK, I know it was 25 years old, but discovering that this "safety" part was made of weak aluminum alloy where I was expecting strong steel now drives me nervous...

P1010235.JPG
P1010237.JPG

Quite interestingly, I've found old posts of people selling NOS (or new BITD) complete calipers where this cable-locking screw just isn't present, as if it was something standard that could be found easily. I then simply don't know what's the correct wording to find such a thing.

Of course, if someone is manufacturing steel repros of this cable-locking thing, I'm in :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Fox,

Makes me nervous too :shock:
I have one on my Fisher RS-1, but hadn't noticed that the anchor bolt is made of aluminium.

I don't know of any new replacements being made, but I do have the kit to make a few repro in stainless steel.
I'll measure it up at the weekend and see if it's viable.

All the best,

Hi Dan,

Interesting :) I too will try to disassemble everything this weekend. Be careful to the tiny ball beneath the locking screw and the cable. It's easily forgotten...

As a late follow-up, this was sorted by a friend of mine [1]. Sorry, he only made one pair from an aluminum bar and didn't took any measurement for future references :p. Thanks anyway Pascal!

Latest posts

Back