Sorry It's another Kona Lava Dome

Scott-S

Retro Newbie
I finally got my hands on a Kona, and I only waited 30 years to do it..
What was it Rutger Hauer said about Good things come to those who wait?

I bought it locally and Im well aware that I paid over the odds, but given it's exactly the bike I always wanted when I was a young man and how good it looks I gave the guy the money without even blinking.

Anyway its a 1991 Lava Dome on an 18 inch frame that’s spent at least the last decade in the original owners lockup and by the look of things it had a very easy life when in use as the decals are in remarkable condition plus its still wearing the original tyres which are cracked on the sidewall but still had 7psi of air in them.
Sadly the grips are long gone, and a set of x-lite risers were fitted and the saddle has been replaced for a more comfortable commute (I assume as the bike also has mud guards)
It’s had an initial cleaning, but it does need a deeper clean which will happen over the next few days and for the sake of safety Im going to order new tyres along with Shimano gear & brake cables and also brake shoes as they are probably original and I don’t know that I trust 33 years old brakes that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your images would be easier to view if you attached them directly using the forum software instead of using image hosting software
Your hosting site also distorts the image. Here's how it would appear if uploaded on the site:
Side.jpg
Here's what I see when I follow your link Screenshot_20241005-090956.png

Latest posts

Back