Sorry It's another Kona Lava Dome

I was supposed to be at a shooting comp in Dundee today but the weather was crap and I couldn't be bothered with the drive in those conditions
So I have more shed time for the bike,
Last week I stripped the brakes and all the cables off the bike, the brakes were utterly filthy and I had to wash my hands a half dozen times to get clean (rookie mistake, I have gloves)
Anyways I tossed the lot in the ultrasonic cleaner and after 10 minutes they came out clean, they've been on the radiator all week drying and I just wiped them off and attacked the worst of the surface rust with a green scotch bright Im going to take them out to the shed and wire brush the threads before I give some things a Kurust then lick of black paint.
Interestingly my back brakes are black (still Shimano) but the other Lava Dome's I've seen were silver like the front plus it had a Horseshoe booster fitted too.. weird
Just having a coffee then out to the shed, clean the chain get the wheels off degrease the frame and wheels and maybe if I have time fit the new tyres
IMG_0534.JPG

[EDIT]
Well that didn't go as planned, it turned biblical and the rain was driving into the shed where I was working, I had the door open as we are expecting some deliveries.
So back into the warm house for a coffee.
Anyway wheels and mudguards taken off chain cleaned (but I think I'm just going to replace it) and I gave the frame a degrease however it will need to wait till its dry before I can give it a good wash down again.
when I get outside to wash, I'll clean the rims and put the new tubes and tyres on.
I remembered to take a picture of the brake booster, it looks like a Joe Murray one but unless its been repainted the finish was garbage.
IMG_0535.JPG

Last edited:
I need to get better organised with the pics and stuff sorry folks.
I picked up a set of trigger shifters as I had them on my early 90s DiamondBack and much prefer them to the current levers.
They are Shimano Altus which is fine for this old fool as he wont be racing, only problem I see is that they are for V brakes (ignorance here) but I’ll see if they work if not they were only going £25
I also ordered new brakes and grips and a basic non GPS computer as I used to like to know my ride distances when I was much younger and fitter.
Tyres are Schwalbe Black Jack cheapos to get me out and moving and I'll see if they need replacing of not,, most likely not as I won't be getting too demanding with my routes.
61FzpvIiMeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

IMG_0537.JPG

The brake levers will work, but not well. The distance from the pivot point to the cable attachment is longer than levers designed for cantis, changing the length the cable gets pulled. More distance equals less force, you won't have much stopping power.
If it was me, a set of vee brakes would be a logical step, as you aren't doing a catalog build, braking will be improved, and setup and adjustment is more simple

The brake levers will work, but not well. The distance from the pivot point to the cable attachment is longer than levers designed for cantis, changing the length the cable gets pulled. More distance equals less force, you won't have much stopping power.
If it was me, a set of vee brakes would be a logical step, as you aren't doing a catalog build, braking will be improved, and setup and adjustment is more simple
Thanks MattiThundrrr, it's the honest well meant advice for us new rider/renovators like this that make all the difference.
Like you said I have no issues about the bike not being 100% catalogue true, so off researching then shopping I go

Back