SOLD Long rear cage - Solution for large cogs Eroica bikes

CommanderChuff

Devout Dirtbag
The trend to fit very large rear cogs to tackle the long hills on the Eroica events can cause problems with chainwrap and gear selection issues.

These long cages allow a longer chain to be fitted so that low gears can be used with normal length rear derailleurs. I brought these long cages for the recent Eroica California to use on a 31 tooth rear and 39 front setup, but didn't need them when a local bike mechanic at the event showed me a better solution.

These cost £40 from the USA with £25 import duty. They are yours for £50 posted.

Attachments

• MEMO0001.JPG
    MEMO0001.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 815
  • MEMO0002.JPG
    MEMO0002.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 815
Re: Long rear cage - Solution for large cogs on Eroica bikes

In my case the better solution was to removed the stop screws in the drop outs and locate the wheel as far backwards as possible, and my bike has quite long derailleur arms, so a combination of these features and careful cog changing meant that I could ride comfortably up 16% slopes in the event.

The long cages were originally designed for Campy gear, but I believed can be fitted to any type of derailleur.

Re:

interestingly, and a bit off topic, it's been interesting to see quite a number of pros using long arm rear mechs in the Giro and Dauphine.... which leads to believe they are using at least 30T cogs. Seems that the stigma of "demeaning oneself by using tourist gears" has now gone and sense prevails. The days of crunching up Winnats on 42x21 with all the bragging rights remains with the dinosaurs

incidentally, I can get 12-30 / 34-50 using a standard Ultegra rear mech no problem on my carbon bike.

So here's a dumb question :)
If I swap out a short cage Xenon for a long cage Centaur mech, what are the implications (other than it'll look way nicer, which is part of my weakness, and it'll match the rest of the Centaur gruppo, which is the other. Notwithstanding my ignorance)?
All / any answers welcome...

Essentially no problem. You might find it runs nicer with a couple of extra links in the chain, depending on how tight it is on big-big.

Latest posts

Back