So what did your bike cost you BITD then?

after a year on a raleigh mirage i saved and saved, and dropped £699 on this........

8000.jpg

.....i was the pride of my colledge bike shed.....we raced together all over the midlands, until september 1992 when we both went under a lorry on my way home from work......i survived, the bike didnt!.....i still miss it!.... :(

Mine was a 1997 Specialized Rockhopper A1 which cost me £550 from Action Cycles in Fareham. Still have it but added some RS Judy XC's and stupidly enough threw away the original rigid direct drive forks. I got rid of the Awful Diacompe V-Brakes and added in some Deore LX V-Brakes instead. Other than that its still in its original form.

Dave

Fist mountain bike was a Puegeot Trail back in '88, Sachs gears, Maillard hubs, very French and quite weighty

I think my mum paid about £250 for it. I wanted a Muddy Fox

It got stolen, so the next bike I got was a Muddy Fox Courier Comp

I did come over nostalgic for the first bike so built a look-alike with better kit and a 531 frame

dscf5084.jpg

My first MTB was a gate!

ishaw":19uejcll said:
Due to the value, and being a poor kid from a poor family, I looked after this, and was literally too scared to ride it and therefore damage it. It was mothballed while I was at uni and a few years ago I decide to dig it out, upgrade it and start using it again. Bizarrely despite the lack of use (it was ridden off road once, and not much other than road riding afterwards to school and back for a year), when I came to strip it the bb mount was cracked, so bein gutted and wanting a replacement, google brought me here and I've barely left since.

Great story, especially the 10 new bikes bit.

When I did the bearings on my RTS I found the frame mounts were positioned very poorly leading to the mounts bending a lot upon tightening. I made some new top hat washers and hey presto no more bending, the bending also hampered the rocker's movement so was well worth it!

My first decent MTB was a 1990 Lava Dome, bought lightly used in '91 from an ad in the local paper. I paid £330, when they'd retailed at £440. Kept it for about 6 months.

OldSkool046.jpg

It was replaced by an Overbury Pioneer, which was lovely and cost me a grand on the nose :D

OldSkool053.jpg

OldSkool050.jpg

(the above images are pictures of pictures. not the best quality, but gives a good idea)

I bought my '93 Palisades Trail in the summer of that year for £500 IIRC.. I liked the blue colour scheme of that years Muirwoods but didn't like the spec. I wanted a higher model but wasn't keen on the Bear Valleys (BV £550, BV SE £595) The next grey model was the Eldridge at £650 i think and i wasn't prepared to wait another couple of months of saving so plumped for the Palisades and pimped it up a bit with blue ano.

Hey, this thread's bringing back some memories! Love hearing other people's stories... I remember saving up my Saturday job money from '91/'92 for months and getting a Klein Pinnacle frame and forks with XT headset for 545 pounds from Motosport in Surrey. Bought some Mani 2's a bit later for 369 pounds I think.

Wish I had some pics of it in its original incarnation with its shiny black paint but here's how it looks now - still going strong!

kpin_1.jpg
[/img]

Muddy Fox Courier late '87 (88 model year)

worked summer hols and saved everything for it and a drawing board.

£323.50 from braddick's in Cardiff (i think)

had £300 and expected to get a roadrunner (the model below the courier) but they didn't have any in.

my lovely dad chipped in the £20 and i got the courier

kept it for nearly 20 years and in pain of regret found another as you probably know...

DSC_1851corrctd.jpg

nausea":2mgd9fi3 said:
Hey, this thread's bringing back some memories! Love hearing other people's stories... I remember saving up my Saturday job money from '91/'92 for months and getting a Klein Pinnacle frame and forks with XT headset for 545 pounds from Motosport in Surrey. Bought some Mani 2's a bit later for 369 pounds I think.

Wish I had some pics of it in its original incarnation with its shiny black paint but here's how it looks now - still going strong!

kpin_1.jpg
[/img]

Loving the fact it is still going strong and looks even cooler now imho.

I paid £680 in oct 96 for this and still have it in very good condition.
090120062814.jpg

090120062815.jpg

I did spec gripshift from new though
Copyof090120062812.jpg

Back