Sniper Bids.

How are they cheating if they don't have any advantage? Highest bid wins, not last bid.

Bid once, bid your maximum. Snipes are completely irrelevant (but do seem to piss people right off) .

Not that fussed personally. I usually just stick my max bid in and leave it. If I lose out then c'est la vie. True once or twice I have missed out by peanuts but I always think if I had gone a bit higher no doubt it would of just done it at a higher price.

If it's something I really want, I bid in the last few seconds, too late for the sniper to work. Otherwise i put in a max bid and that's that.

I use a sniper. It takes the work out of sitting wafching the auction while it ends and does it for me.

I dont think its cheating, its no different to manually putting a bid on last second anyway.

Not trying to rattle cages, just my opinion.

Ebay is not an auction, despite the name.

Just enter your highest bid that you are willing to pay. the later you leave it the less chance people have to think "Hmm... I'll bid more than him".

Snipers still set a maximum, bid your max, and if it's more than the snipers, you'll still win.

Simple.

technodup":2mfcmldq said:
How are they cheating if they don't have any advantage? Highest bid wins, not last bid.

Bid once, bid your maximum. Snipes are completely irrelevant (but do seem to piss people right off) .

I agree in part. The only thing I would say is that a snipe reduces the ability / opportunity for anyone to increase their bid at the last minute.

Eg. I place my highest bid. It is outbid with a few minutes days or seconds to go. I sit there and I think about it for a while and like most people I increase my bid.

A snipe only gives 3-6 seconds to think about it.

Like you said though, the highest bid will always win, I cant see how it's cheating.

My_Teenage_Self":2vu92y90 said:
Ebay is not an auction, despite the name.

Just enter your highest bid that you are willing to pay. the later you leave it the less chance people have to think "Hmm... I'll bid more than him".

Snipers still set a maximum, bid your max, and if it's more than the snipers, you'll still win.

Simple.

Great minds think alike :LOL:

the_duke":iwo2qn5a said:
Eg. I place my highest bid. It is outbid with a few minutes days or seconds to go. I sit there and I think about it for a while and like most people I increase my bid..
I've highlighted the inconsistency there.

Bid once. Bid high. Forget everyone else.

Difficult to do sometimes, but it's foolproof if you stick to it.

Bidding high early will cost you more. There'll always be people trying to increase their maximum bid in small increments until they have the highest bid.

I let them have the highest bid until the last few seconds of the auction.
Then I bid high and pray that the snipers don't raise the price too much.

Back