Singlespeed on thread on Hub

I used a BMX freewheel and a half inch BMX chain/ 110 bcd chain ring

CS409C04ENG__16T__316.jpg

Great, thanks for the reply. I'll get hold of one.

What effect does this have on the chainline? I currently have a old Deore LX triple chainset. Should I be looking at running the chainring where the Granny ring is, or will the middle ring suffice?

Thanks again.

I think you're going to need an adapter to space the freewheel further out so as to achive a decent chainline. There used to be a poroduct called a 'drews adapter' for this purpose, but these are no longer avaliable..... The only other alternative I have found is a very similar product manufactured by HED called a 'chainline fixer'. I made enquiries to HED last year about purchasing these as they normally come as part of a conversion kit, and they were willing to sell them separately. HED in the US wanted $35 for them and HED in the Uk wanted £45 for them! I did intend to place an order with another retrobike member for some of these but we never got round to it. If you decide you need one, let me know as I have the contact and order details.

its much easier if you have horizontal drop-outs as then you can wiggle the rear wheel to get the right amount of tension on the chain.

You also have to consider the chain line - fitting a narrower BB axle helps and using SS specific parts.

With vertical dropouts its a whole other issue!

BTW - if you use a BMX 1/2 inch freewheel, you'll need a half inch chain and a half inch BMX chain ring (cheap and loads of sizes)

Theres absolutely loads of info out there that is far better than my fat fingered typings:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

I redished my rear wheel and moved the spacers on the rear axle around to make the hub more central, improving the chainline even further.

c1c_ringl_thrd_rr_grn.jpg

If you are good at faffing - you may be able to take out the axle and spacers to centre the hub to your needs, improving the chainline without the need for bodgets (gadgets that bodge)

Back